Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

rules on nails during c section?

Hi ladies, 

bit random  should have asked by now but i  booked in for section on Wednesday eeek! I'm not meeting with anaesthetics/surgeon untill late Tuesday night so I won't have an oppertunity to ask, what are the rules on nails? I normally have fibreglass extremely short overlay French polish so basically clear- is this allowed? I know you can't have colour X 

Replies

• Hmm alba not sure entirely but my understanding is that anything occluding your nail can prevent getting an oxygen reading from your nail. I was wondering about toe nail varnish as was hoping to treat myself to a pedicure but may need c section next month.  Be interesting to know! 😁 

Good luck weds,  can I ask how much notice they gave you for your admission? X

•  booked my date and time 6 weeks in advance & got an early and latest possible time but I got a call to say to be there for 8 and theatre opens at 8.30 yesterday so about 4 days in advance 

good luck X

• Hi Alba was just reading your post and I had my section 3 years ago and I went in with a full set of nails and painted toes. Whether the rules have changed or not I don't know but I wasn't told otherwise and had no problems no one told me to take them off. Ive seen people dolled up to the max when having their babies ha ha x x

• Alba - cant believe your time has come round already! Good luck for Wednesday. 

My friend gave birth last Tuesday and had a full set on both fingers and toes....she was natural though but I assume anyone could end up having a Cesarean.