Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Induced on due date

Hi everyone,

After my Dr appointment today, was told that I had to be induced on my due date. Reason was that my cervix is closed and I haven't had false contractions too, my abdomen was 'silent'. Will inducing work? How long before the Dr decides to wait or go ahead with C Section. My Dr did tell me that ideally they would wait for 3-4 hours but would it be painful if they wait longer? Thanks, appreciate your responses.

Replies

• Hi, I have been induced 3 times and can tell you the more ' ready' you are the easier it goes.

If your cervix is not ' ready/ soft' your first thing will be a gel or pessarie applied to it to get it to soften.

Once you're softened or beginning to dialate they could start a drip to get contractions going and / or break your waters for you....you and baby are monitored closely to know how you are both responding but no one knows how you are going to respond or how long the process will take - they will asses step by step as to how long to leave you before re checking your progress.

From my experience a c- section is only considered if you or baby has medical concerns that rules out a normal delivery

Induction fails completely 

Or for an unknown complication should one arise ( like in any delivery)

My advice would be get active, lots of walking  to bring baby down low and DTD ! ( helps soften/ stimulate the cervix and can boost contractions!)

I wouldn't worry tho, how you are now is far from how you could be on your due date !

Best wishes xx

• If there's nothing going on I'm suprised that they're suggesting an induction. Unless there's a medical reason (or maybe I read it wrong) I would hold out till nature takes it's course. My sister was induced & I'm sure that my nephew was not ready to be born & she had to have an emergency C section. Hope it goes well for you