Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Petrified of c section

Hi I am 39 weeks now and due to have my first baby on Wednesday via c section due to her position, I am pretty scared about the whole thing and even the epidural. 

I suffer from white coat syndrome and my my bp goes sky high has anyone any advise on ways to calm down and has anyone felt the same ? Xxx  

Replies

• Options

Hi Alex, I was in your shoes a few days ago scheduled for a planned c section at 39 weeks.  Was scared and so worried about it.  I read up a little on what to expect and asked lots of questions.  The hospital staff were very good.  The consultant and anaesthetist made a scary experience very calm and even pretty relaxed. I suffer with low BP but the team covered everything and I felt I was in very safe hands.I had my c section Fri morning and was able to come home after 2 nights. What is it you're worried about the spinal epidural?  Please feel free to ask me specific questions and I am happy to help you if I can x😊

• Options

Hi, thank you for the reply. 

I think it's more fear of the unknown and the thought of being in theatre awake. I'm super excited but then I get the dreaded fear feeling. I'm not the best with needles but I gather as you can't see it that can help.

That's good you were in only a few nights , how do you feel? I'm not to worried about the after pain I had a large ovarian cyst removed some years back so I'm thinking recovery will be on the same lines pretty sore for a week or two .

I don't think I have heard anything negative about a section I just seem to be feeling nerves more than I expected xxx 

• Options

Sorry for late reply. I have written up my (rather long!) birth story on Dec announcement thread. I've put in that about how smooth the op is. I was so scared too about the being awake in theatre but The staff were truly amazing.  one guy constantly reassured me through everything. I focused on him answering his questions and asking him about anything I was worried about.  I think we couldn't be in safer hands as they have every eventuality covered.

From a recovery point of view I expect you're right about being similar to your previous surgery. I had no pain until around 12 hours post op but remember everyone different. I then had increased pain after walking from ward to doors on discharge which worsened in the evening when I got home. Basically this was overdoing it.

You'll be fine. Take it step by step. Ask about anything and Don't be scared to ask for any help with baby after delivery.  

Anticipatory congratulations for weds xxx  

• Options

Thank you so much for your advice I feel a lot better now doubting I will sleep much tonight feeling more excitement now 

Hope you and your new addition are ok xxx

• Options

Oo Alex your big day today.  Just try and relax and go with the flow. Even enjoy it if you can. Remember,  small steps as far as recovery is concerned.

When you are able, I'd love to know how you are getting on. Do you know whether baby is pink or blue?  

Baby Elliott and I are Thinking of you today  xxx