Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Would you give birth with your whole family (parents, brothers, sisters, children) watching?

Hello

We've just seen this amazing photo taken by US birth photographer Jessica Liggett of a woman called Carla who had her baby at home, in a birthing pool, surrounded by her husband, 2 of her sisters, her mother-in-law, and her daughter.

And it's made us think: would you want to give birth with so many people watching you?

Would it make you feel strong and supported to be surrounded by so many? Or would you rather give birth more privately?

We'd love to hear what you think. Please do let us know by adding a post to this thread - thank you!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/144281.jpg

Replies

• OMG NO NO NO! Even the IDEA of my mother-in-law, bless her, seeing my bits makes me feel a bit sick lol. 

• not for me!. I only wanted my husband in the room... Not even my parents who had come all the way from england to the us to visit & were leaving the next day... I said they could come up once he was born but that i would rather they didnt come up during the labor (which they were totally understanding about). I know friends who have had their mums present during the birth but for me it was too much of a private thing that i only wanted my husband there... I agree with hertie... Wouldnt want my parents seeing my bits & pieces! 😳

• I had my mum and dad at the birth of my son and I refused to let my dad past my head but in the thick of I didn't even notice and he stood with the best view in the room lol. This time i will be having jist my husband in the room x

• No it's a personal time for partners and husband and wife to see their baby being born first. Also there is a lot of cuddling to be done with baby, I wouldn't like to pass him or her around for a while except to hubby! if single parent then totally understand having whoever you feel most comfortable with you to help you xx 

• I mean to see their baby first X 

• If my husband had agreed I would have had my mum there but that would have been to look after me, not at my bits.

My husband was on strict instructions to stay at my head and not at the other end! I thought for the sake of our future sex life it wouldn't be advisable for him to watch lol.

I definitely would not want my mother in law in the room.

• Claire 2015 I agree with your views completely and that would be my preference. 

Im not dead against our Mums being there and other female close family members.  No men other than my Husband though.  

• Yeah some people want their mums there which is fine as well. My friend had two friends there and her boyfriend