Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

I'm scared of giving birth. What's it really like and how do you cope with the pain?

whats it like when giving birth has anyone had a successful birth like im excited but really scared as its my first how did anyone cope when given birth to there first whats the best way to give birth like for the pain

Replies

• Hi, 

Congratulations x

After six babies the best advice I could give any mom to be is to go with the flow and have an open mind to any pain relief, if you need it use it ( its there to help you!) I found gas and air to help best as pethidine made me feel sick however find what works for you.

Your body was designed to deliver a baby successfully so you will instinctively move into the best positions or the midwife will offer advice on a comfy way to try.

When it comes time to push the instinct will override and you will need to push, let the midwife guide when to start to time it in with the contractions for best effect, just listen to them and they will guide you through delivery and look after you after.

I found that after delivery that all memory of the pain is obliterated by the love for baby.

Just trust yourself to be able to do it and get into a positive head space/ mindset as with anything we do, being positive about it is the first step to a positive outcome. 

Try to focus on the big picture, to have a happy healthy baby delivered safely. If that means that plans change as they can so often do and you deliver with assistance or by a c- section then so be it.... Happy baby and happy mom x  best wishes x

• Hello 

I echo what busymamma says go with the flow is the best approach, I was all set for a vaginal birth but after days of them trying to induce me and nothing happening I ended up with a c section. I was so disappointed but I knew having healthy babies was the most important thing (I had twins). 

Pain relief wise I was encouraged to have an epidural because it was twins, my epidural was great I didnt feel any contractions and I slept through most of the day of labour, I also had diamorphine before my epidural this was because both my babies heads were trying to fit through my non dilated cervix so I had been in a lot of pain for days, I have to say that if I was more awake I probably wouldn't of liked the feeling of diamorphine as it made me feel really drunk but I was so tired that i just slept through the foggyness. 

what I will say is if you are not coping with the pain be honest and say! If you want pain relief tell them as if you act like you are coping well they will just assume that you are you need to be vocal! 

Have faith in yourself and your body, you were designed to have babies you will be fine and once you have that baby in your arms it will all be worth it! 

• Hello. Just popping in to let you know, Angle xoxo, that we've taken the liberty of editing your thread title, just to make it a bit more obvious what you're wanting to ask people. We can see you've had some great replies already, so hopefully, you'll get loads more now! 

• I say go with what you can handle. Take the pain relief if you can. The truth for me was once I was there nothing I had prepared for worked. You're not going to know the pain until it's there. Try to stay calm and you will be able to handle it. my epideral wore off when I was about to have surgery due to prolonged labor at 2 1/2 days. My contractions were every 2 minutes and between 45sec and a minute long. It was very painful, but in the moment i handled it just fine. get some good calm support.