Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

LEEP scarring and giving birth, help!

Hi everyone, just looking for a bit of advice really. I'm 34+3 weeks pregnant with my first child. I had extensive abnormal cells (CINIII) ten years ago so had a LEEP. I also had a biopsy about 5 years ago. Due to that I always had problems having a full smear because the scarring had changed the shape of my cervix. My colposcopy consultant always encouraged me to get pregnant so that my cervix would open up but there was the little problem of finding the right man to do that with and getting him to put a ring on it. So finally managed to accomplish that, doctors orders and everything, and then I fell pregnant. I was consultant led and they checked the length of my cervix and weren't concerned so I was discharged and told that in fact my scarring may keep the baby in rather than be at risk of being premature which was great news at the time. Then recently I started to worry if that scarring would affect giving birth, I asked one of the many different midwives I've seen and she was a bit vague but said it might make birth quicker. So I'm a bit confused, does anyone have any experience of giving birth after a LEEP and having scarring? Does it slow things down or speed things up? Does it have to tear and if it does how painful is that? Help?
Thanks xx