Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Labour 2nd time round

Hi im Suzie i have a 7 year old daughter who was 15 weeks early weighing 760grams i had her naturally but was only 2 and a half cm dilated when giving birth it was a horrific birth experience, i am now pregnant with my 2nd baby and i am terrified so much about giving birth i don't do pain well and im terrified of needles can someone shed some light on 2nd time around 

Thanks 

Replies

• Hi Babyblanco,

Sorry to hear of your experience the first time round.  I can say from my experience second time round was soooooooo much better!

My first birth experience was horrific and carried on for 18 months after I had my little boy too (he is now very nearly 4).  My first labour went on for 4 days, I got ready to push him out to then be told it was actually bottom coming out, not head, so I had to get whipped in, put to sleep and they had to get him out pretty sharpish - the when he was 10 days old my C section wound got infected and burst open, so I was in hospital for 4 days because of that.  For the first 8 weeks of Joshua's life, all I could do was sit in a chair with him and cuddle him, feed him at a push, but that was it.  I couldn't get on the floor and change his bum, I couldn't push him around in his new pram.  They weren't a very good 8 weeks.  Things got better, but then after a few months I noticed something didn't feel quite right with my scars internally.  After a lot of doctors visits I was finally referred to hospital then, 18 months after he was born had to have more surgery to undo the c section scars, re-do them (because they had been done so badly) and also have my bowel put back into place as that had come through my very weak abdominal wall.  So I was off my feet for another few months there!  I had my surgery in March 2014. 

I found out I was pregnant again in the April 2015, so just over a year later.  I was pretty nervous about everything because of my previous experience, often wondering if it was going to be as bad.  I chose to go to a different hospital for obvious reasons, and was under consultant care because of my previous experience.  I am happy to say my pregnancy was, overall, a good one!  couple of trips to the hospital because of reduced movements but second baby liked to be back to back a lot!  Monkey!

I had my last consultant appointment on 30th December 2015 (being 5 days overdue - yes I was due Christmas day! Lol) and they told me that whilst I was really really keen for a natural birth, my body wouldn't be able to labour naturally so I had to have a planned C section - obviously I was heart broken!  But silver lining and all that - my waters broke early hours of 31st December 2015 and my little boy arrived at 22:47 on 31st December, so a lovely way to end the new year!  The consultants were still in doubt that I could labour naturally and wanted to slice me open, but one of them really saw how much I wanted to do it myself, so gave me the chance to!  And I am so grateful to her!

4 and a half hour labour and 3 pushes was my second experience!  Absolutely beautiful experience!

I know my experience is very different from yours, but as second labours go, mine couldn't have gone better!

I know its very easy for people to say, but just try and keep calm and go with it.  Its one of those things you can't control.   As for the needles - I hate them!  But when I was in labour I just didn't care, they could have done anything to me! Lol.

I will keep everything crossed for you for a beautiful labour and birth this time around :-)

When are you Due? xx

• I know this is slightly different but with my first I was 8 days late we was back to back I had been in slow labor for 7 days on the 7th day I had my second sweep which set off horrendous contractions I felt like I was being crushed and couldn't breath I was in active labor for 19 and half hours my lil man had only turned half way and was stuck i pushed for over an hour with no joy and ended up having a forceps delivery and every drug they had going I gave birth at 7:18am to a 9lb 1oz baby boy.

With my second I was 6 days late on the 3rd day I had my second sweep and waited for those horrendows contractions to start but they didn't by the 5th day I had pressure so went to be checked it was just from a prolapse I got from my first birth she did another sweep as I was only 2cm and sent me home over night I got cramps niggly pains but nothing major the next day I stuffed my face with bacon butties while bouncing on my birth ball had a bit of stomach ache but again nothing major was getting impatient as my contractions was still quite irregular but I phoned hospital and told them I had been getting 3 in 10minsome anyway (little white lie) I got to the hospital at 2:10pm I was examined and was 7 to 8cm I couldn't believe it is had a bit of belly ache that's all my second little boy was born at 18:13 weighing 9lb 8oz and I had only had gas and air and was in the birth pool two very very different births don't know if this helps but hope it will give you a bit of reassurance xx

• Thank you so much for your replys sorry to hear of the horrific bits, i am not sure of due date yet but think im almost 5 weeks so may im assuming got my doctors appointment tomorrow, i am so anxious about gaining a load of weight also which is stressing me out ! So excited yet so scared but i have amazing support this time around so thats all good, also cant wait to tell my daughter she's going to be the best big sister ever 😀 xx

• Ah bless you!  Well try not to worry about it.  One thing that did help was talking to my midwife about my worries, she seemed to put me at ease - for a while anyway!  Might be worth just telling her.  You might find it reassuring :-)  xx

• I went huge with my second up to 14 and half stone from 12 stone but back down to 12 and a half straight after having him so I wouldn't worry about that speak to your midwife if you have any concerns at all xx