Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

C Section Experience

Hi All

After reading all the advice online about a section, I wanted to share my experience (4 months down the line - now I feel I can).. and maybe hear from others too..

I will start with the reason I wanted the section - it's personal and it's never spoken about! So.. I have herpes and the medication for it is so hit and miss.. I didn't want a 'very small risk' that the consultants talked about I wanted zero risk for my little girl.. 

I have to say I had to fmight hard to get one- 2 consultants - 6 appointments - they even sent me to the GUM clinic - cheers guys 🙈

So eventually they said yes.. I was booked in for 9th September and that day couldn't come quick enough..

I also need to add that EVERYTIME I spoke to a midwife or anyone on the maternity ward before and after I had her I was still asked - why I am having a c-section? This was to the point where it was really upsetting - I mean I'm ok about saying it on here, no one knows me.. plus when you've had a child a lot of that dignity flies out the window anyway!! So..

The fact that I had a date in stone was perfect. I finished work on 31st August, had 9 days of nesting and then the big day came.. 

I had to stop eating at 9pm the night before - no big deal I never ate that late anyway - and had to take some heartburn type pill.. I got to the hospital at 7.30am and was taken to a bed.. Given a fetching nighty to wear too.. 

They didn't ask me to take my make up off! Major bonus - (I'm covered in acne scars, not something I wanted on my first pics with baby!) 😂..

We filled in the medical forms and off we went to theatre - we got there at about 8.50am and waited outside.. my hubby was told to put on his scrubs - 

So handsome 😝😝

I had to go in on my own at first and this was literally the only bit that was daunting.. 

I had one nurse doing my blood pressure, one inserting a drip and the anaesthetist trainee trying to do my spinal while saying behind me 'I'm hitting the bone' - cheers pal! 

Anyway he got it eventually and the weird ass numbing sensation started.. I've got to say I've never felt anything as weird.. they inserted the catheter which after 9 months of peeing every 20 minutes was a relief and a break haha.. 

My hubby was brought in after all that and I cried.. it had been 10 minutes but they felt like a lifetime without him holding my hand.. The surgeons then came in and stared in amazement at the array of tattoos they had to work around.. 

I told them to cut through them - I wasn't bothered - I just wanted my baby girl.. 

So the cutting began - of course I couldn't feel it.. but some blogs were right in saying you feel a tugging.. its strange but doesn't hurt.. I wasn't cold on the table I felt warm.. Having Mark there was amazing too..

The second she came out she was screaming this was at 9.16am.. 

Once they'd done all the checks Mark held her.. instantly she was quiet.. it was amazing to see. He brought her over to me and instantly I was in love..

It felt like they were sewing me up for a lifetime, I sent Mark to call my mum and dad and get them to come to see us!

The midwives were lovely and let them see me in recovery.. 

It was an amazing experience.. it all started to go wrong on the day we were due to come home..

They ask you if you have any concerns with the baby and I kept mentioning a birth mark she had on her head.. 

It wasn't until we were there all bags packed that a consultant came to see her.. they looked at the mark and said they needed to take her straight to NICU.. the way she put it was 'We have to take your baby away' 

Heartbroken was an understatement - they thought, even though I'd opted for a section that she had herpes.. 

When you google it - it's so awful the results that come up.. 

I was literally crying my heart out. 

Our little girl had to have so many tests and had to have antiviral medication every 4 hours.. 

The next 3 days were a complete blur.. I think I slept for about 40 minutes collectively over those days.. 

On the Thursday a doctor came to see us and told us the results were clear she had a birth mark nothing else... Mark hugged the doctor.. the relief was like nothing I'd ever felt! 

The mark is called serbacus nevus - it's really rare and kind of looked like tiny blisters.. 

We got to go home that afternoon.. I remember the feeling of walking out and tears of happiness running down my face.. what a week!! 

For everything to go so perfectly then for the walls to come crashing down.. I was exhausted in every sense of the word.. 

Home was amazing and my recovery was miraculous.. I was up and down stairs, going for walks and after two weeks I was signed off to drive. 

She's 16 weeks now and I have only now felt like I could write this and relive what happened.. 

I'm writing this for the women with herpes who get put through this.. I know there's so many of us out there.. also for anyone sat there nervous about their c section.. you hear so many nightmare stories but I couldn't fault mine.. 

If this helps one person in some way then I'm happy. 

Replies