Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Giving birth: what surprised you the most? 

Hi everyone, 

Over here at MFM HQ, we’ve just been having an (actually quite funny) chat about what surprised us the most about giving birth. So,  we wanted to ask you the same question, too. 

Please do come and tell us, whatever it may be, what surprised you the most about when you gave birth to your son or daughter, by replying to this thread. We can’t wait to hear what surprised you!

Replies

• Tell you what surprised me the most was that giving birth didn't hurt nearly as much as i expected it to. Also having my mum and husband in the same room during labour and birth wasn't nearly as bad as i thought that would be too! 😂😂😂
    The non-stop bleeding post birth was pretty surprising tho!

• I agree I was surprised how well I coped.  I think having watched one born and shows similar in the lead up to labour I had my self convinced it was going to be awful. And my two sister in laws had babies 3/4month before me and said how awful it was etc.  And believe me when I say, I have no pain threshold I cry/feel sick if I even bang my arm or foot etc. 

By time I was convinced my contractions were "real" I heard pop and my waters burst dramatically like the films. Triage told me to go over and be checked and I was 6.5cms.

Managed with no pain relief until about 8cm then got given a diamorphine injection. Wish I hadn't taken it though as it slowed the last part down! 

Think it's amazing how our bodies just do it and know what to do. My OH was amazed how quiet I was through the whole process, he thought I'd have been screaming with the pain 😂 

This time I hope I can manage without any opiates so I don't need the drip again. But I think it's important for mums to be to know it's not as bad as the tv makes out!!

• Mine was also that it didn't hurt as much as I thought. Don't get me wrong it was painful but not as bad as I thought. I turned up at the hospital fully dialated and my baby was born an hour after! I was very lucky! 

• My first birth was horrid and was a 4 day labour which ended in he having an emergency C section at nearly 10cm dilated because they decided at that point he was breech!!  So I think what surprised me about my first birth was how quickly things can happen when they need to!

My second one was a 'text book' birth and like the other ladies I was very surprised with how well I coped and actually didn't think it was as painful as I imagined it to be :-)  Don't get me wrong, the pain was horrific, but not as horrific as I had anticipated!

• I'm doing a home birth anyone have any experience?

• With my 3rd 4 weeks ago I was surprised at how contractions didn't hurt at all !!! Just pressure , but what has surprised me is how much I am leaking milk and he has been formula fed from day one !! 

• I was very surprised that I actually went through with natural birth. I have a very very low pain thresh hold I cringe when someone combs my hair as it hurts..

I can panic very quickly and dramatically at the best of times but from the moment my water broke till i was on the delivery bed i remained as calm as millpond. i remembered at least one breathing Technic and it stuck till my baby girl was out. It did hurt as much as it stung...and it went pretty fast in the end for me even with painkillers in