Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Thoughts on TENS Machines?

I was just wondering what everyone's experiences were with a TENS Machine? Is this something worth using and investing in for Labour?

Also, I'm debating between buying one and hiring one - what would people suggest? 

This is going to be my first baby, so I'm keen to get some opinions on this! 

Replies

• Hi. I had  long labour (46 hours) and I used a Tens machine and only had 3 diamorphine injections throughout the whole thing. I thought the tens was really good as you can control it and the strength you need. Saying that, my best friend and sister didn't rate them at all and thought they were useless so I think it depends on the person. Sorry it's not a straight answer. If you join the Boots parenting club they give you discount vouchers which is why I got mine, it was £10 off. 

• I used one and it was definitely worth it. Whether it actually made it hurt less or not I'm not sure, but it made me think it did which is good enough for me. 

Ask around your friends/family and see if someone can lend you one

• Interesting what Jojo82 is saying - the placebo effect is really powerful so even if it doesn't help, you might think it does and find it comforting having it there!

• I used one in my labour and would recommend for the price. I'm not sure if it helped with the pain but it gave me something to focus on. I had the mamatens and it has lots of different levels and a boost button to press every time you have a contraction. 

• I had two long labours and it helped lots, partly as commented above that it gives you something to focus on but I did take off at one point and very quickly asked husband to reattach the pads for the next contraction! 

If you think no there is a chance you will have two babies, worth buying rather than hiring, if you have the time, keep an eye out for the baby care tens in the John  Lewis sale, I have seen it reduced a few times.