Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Birth plan: did you have one, and if so, did you follow it?

Hello. 

We’d love to ask you, while you were pregnant, did you make a birth plan for when you went into labour? And if you did, did you follow the birth plan too? 

Please do come and tell us what your birth plan consisted of and whether you stuck to it, by posting a reply to this thread. We’d love to hear from you. 

Replies

• No no birth plan here.....mainly because im a control freak and if it wasn't followed then it would have stressed me out.

My birth plan as i said to the midwives was go with the flow if i want drugs i will ask for them. I would prefer not to have a sectipn but understsnd if i have to have one 

• My Eldest was a December 2009 baby & I had a lovely water birth planned...I got into the pool & the water was both relaxing & taking the edge of the contractions. My birth plan was going great - water birth with no pain relief...nope, nature had other ideas...

I lasted 24hrs before requesting Gas & air. I felt I wanted to push so the student midwife told me to go ahead, I then had the senior midwife tell me off as I was only 8cm dilated. Problem was I had stopped dilating. Out of the pool & into delivery suite to be hooked up with an induction drip in the hope it would get me those extra 2cm. It felt like forever before I was told to start pushing & I was pushing for a good 2hrs. I also had pethidine to take the edge off. In short none of my birth plan remained in tact.

After that experience I winged it with my 2nd pregnancy & the twins were emergency section at 35wks so I barely had time to acknowledge what was happening before they were both out.

• jeanettea, you and I had the exact same birth plan - ie none and to totally go with the flow! 

KazzieM, we are so glad to hear from you! How are the twins doing? We can't believe they are almost 1! How are you and your family doing?