Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How long till I heal?

Hi everyone I’ve never used this site before but looking for some advice. 

I had my first baby 5 days ago & had to be stitched up. I’ve heard it can take around 10 days to heal & the stitches will dissolve & you have to keep the area clean & dry, but I’m still bleeding therefore I’m struggling to keep it dry. 

does anyone know how long you tend to bleed for & if the stitches will be able to heal despite it not being always dry? I’m too embarrassed to ask my midwife. 

Replies

• Don't be embarrassed to talk to your midwife hun - i made mine check everything out down there to make sure it looked alright as i had massive swelling and sooo many stitches too. I found salt water baths really helped soothe things too - try it.

I bled for about 2 weeks, but it differs to each woman. I also recommend echinacea from a health food shop which helps with the healing. 

Just carry on doing as you are doing, shower or bath daily - you'll be fine x

• I bled for around 4-6 weeks with my two girls. Heavily for around 3 and faint for a few more weeks. I was cut and stitched with my first and healed fine within 2 weeks. With my second I tore but not enough to need stitches, this healed with 3-4 days. 

Drink plenty and change your pad often and it shouldn’t be much longer for you. Congrats on your new baby xx