Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Giving birth: who did you have in the room with you, and were they helpful or a hindrance?

Hello. 
When giving birth, women are usually limited to having one or two people in the room, while baby is born. We would love to know, who did you have in the room with you while you gave birth, and were they supportive or shall we say, not so helpful?

Please do come and tell us who you had with you, while giving birth, by posting a reply to this thread. And do let us know how supportive they were. 

Replies

• I had my mum and partner both times. My mum was more help both times but i think shes had 4 babies her self and been in with both me n my 2 sisters babies birth. Shes like a pro now after 6 granchildren.  sean had definatly improved the 2nd time round though  lol 😂💙 

• The first time I had my amazing mum and babies dad. The dad was useless but my mum was amazing.

The second time it was just my OH, we had a Home birth and even though it was his first child, he did everything right.

• I have had just my husband with me for all 6 of our children and the 1st time he seemed very worried throughout and at a loss as to what to do as was I, I was terrified but it was easier than I expected.  Well it must have been we have done it again 5 times since but with each we have both got better and know what is needed or expected from the other. I think for both parents the first is always a mystery as to exactly what to expect as you hear so many horror stories. I feel I'm lucky as I have had pretty easy pregnancies a few issues in labour but nothing to put me off, I also know alot of people who have been to hell and back during pregnancy and birth. 

• For all 3 I've had my husband with me and he's been amazing. Whether holding my hand for the 1st, holding the gas and air for the 2nd (homebirth and the connection to bottle was dodgy) or holding eye contact for the 3rd (emergency c-section so I was all hooked up to drips), he's not left my side and helped me get through it 😍

• My husband who well not really sure what he was doing said he rubbed my back but it all happened so fast. I was more focused on listening to the staff and on what I was doing to worry bout him. His rents could have walked in and I prob wouldnt have noticed lol. But then ended in emergency c-section I had 3 injections down my back so those and gas and air id already had and the pushing I was pretty out of it really. Remember being sprayed with cold water to make sure I was numb enough signing consent form then starting to get feeling back so more pain relief given why they finished stitching me up. Plus had sepsis so with everything didnt remember it all hubby had to fill me in on few things

• I only had my partner both times. withbourbfirst he left to go to kfc cos he was hungry but otherwise he was good support. 2nd Time he was amazing. I was in and out of triage and being sent to consultants towards the end and eventually they decided to induce me. He was very supportive and made me feel much more relaxed. 

my mum is a worrier by nature so I knew she wasn’t who I should have with me even though we are close. 

• my sister with me first two, with this one i think i will take hubby tooimage