Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

NHS water birth - can my OH get in with me? Or is that just if your private?!

New to this!

Really looking my parter in the birthing pool with me (if nhs even allow this) anyone any idea? 

Feel as if it would be more comforting and close for us to start this new journey in our life together with our first..

Anyone else had a water birth (with or without there partner) is it really Worth going for? 😊 thanks xxx

Replies

• Hi! I know this post was a while ago now but just come across it and didn’t want to run and not reply :) 

I laboured my first born in the birthing pool at an NHS hospital and my partner was allowed in with me. It was an amazing experience and honestly helped me to relax through contractions and my partner felt like he was really involved then to! Pretty sure at any NHS hospital the rules are the same and partners can join you in there. I didn’t manage to actually give birth in the water as my little boy wasn’t co-operating but I am due with number 2 in August and am aiming to be back in the pool again! 

Hope this helps :)