Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Chronic Pain & C-section

Hi ladies,
I'm a long-time chronic pain sufferer. My husband and I want to have a baby, but I've been putting off the idea because of my constant chronic pain. I am seeing a psychologist for help and my GP says she will write a letter insisting that I need to get an elective caesarean section. My psychologist also recommends this and is willing to help me. 
I have been told to find out which UK NHS trusts/hospitals and obstetricians are more likely to allow you to have an elective caesarean section in SW London. I am nearest Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. 
Please spare me the stories of what happens in natural childbirth and caesareans. I am well versed in both and it really is not a choice for me. 
I appreciate any help I can get!

Replies

• Im' confused. U say u are seeing a psychologist, so is the chronic pain all in your head or do u suffer with arthristis or some muscle wasting disease? Secondly where is the pain? Because if it's back pain related then a c-section will only aggravate it and can cause future back pain issues. They only normally do a c-section if there is a risk to mother or baby or both. 

I can see u are letting this pain affect ur thoughts to get pregnant but the only advice I can give u on that is that as a female are bodies are designed to adapt grow and give birth to a baby. Yes there will be times when u feel rough, sick, achey and in pain due to shifts in the body where everything moves to allow growth. But that's something u can't do anything about. If u think negative then u will attract negative. If u think positive u will attract positive. U possibly need to change it mind set to being more positive and think well hey, Yes I'm in pain but do I let the pain beat me and rule my life or do i think hell no , it's not going to stop me. If u think negative then everything including pain feels ten times worse than it actually is. Pain after all is mearly the body's notification to the brain telling u somethings going on in that area. Since falling pregnant the second time round I have had the most chronic back pain that' excruciating. I've had awful nausea and tiredness. Am I letting it affect me? Hell no. I just grab a bottle of Lucozade  ( it helps massively with nausea) and lay down for a nap when I can because I have an excuse to now. If u want a baby so badly u need to battle your inner pain demons with a positive attitude. Trust me it actually works xx