Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Managed third stage with fibroids? Any midwives here?

Hi there, I have 3 small fibroids that I was told no one was concerned about. That is until I said I wanted to give birth at the birthing centre and not the labour ward, then they said I can't because I have to have an actively manged third stage incase of bleeding.

Not pleased with hearing this at week 37, I asked for a second opinion from the head midwife, who said that she's not concerned and I can give birth wherever I want. Then my community midwife gets involved, saying that there was no record of the conversation and I could turn up at the birthing centre and be turned away (thanks for trying to panic me at week 38...). I got a call today saying she had confirmed my conversation was real... But they have since decided I still need an actively managed third stage. 

Am now confused, if the third stage is actively manged can I still have a water birth and delayed cord clamping?? I thought maybe they could monitor my third stage and if it looked like there were any issues then do the injection. But I'm being told that I have to give consent for it now before I go into labour. My community midwife was very unhelpful and told me to Google it before my next appt on Wednesday.

Would appreciate any advice from anyone that has had a similar experience. I don't want to put myself necessarily at risk, but I feel they are overreacting and just trying to cover their backs.

Replies

• Options

I'm afraid i don't have experience of this, but wanted to say, it will might just end up they make a decision when you go into active labour and how your labour pans out, as there are so many factors involved when giving birth.

Is your birth centre in the same place as your labour ward? From what i've read, any thing slightly untoward means you are normally shifted to a labour ward, so you might not be able to have a water birth, but can't see why they wouldn't offer delayed clamping. 

As long as your baby arrives safe and sound, please try not to fret. You're going to be a mummy so soon! 

• Options

Thank you, I'm trying to just be calm about it all. I'm 6 days away from my due date, so don't want to be stressed now.

The labour ward is literally across the corridor from the birth centre, so hoping they can let me do my thing and monitor the third stage to see how I progress.

I've been reading up as much as I can and I think my risk of pph is low, so will tell them I want to do a "wait and see" approach.  My