Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

How bad are labour pains - really??

Hi
I know this is probably a question with quite a wide range of answers but as I am now just over four weeks away from my due date the thought of how much labour is going to hurt is playing on my mind. I really do not want an epidural unless totally necessary as I dont like the idea of not being able to walk after and having to have a catheter!! image I want gas and air and pethidine or diamorphine and hope I can get through it on this (its my first pregnancy too!!) I have been told that it is like severe period cramps and as I suffer from Endometriosis I have had some crippling period pains over the years and if it is like that then maybe I can do it on limited pain relief. What have your experiences been like? Try not to scare me too much ladeez ;\) Thanx

Replies

• Everyone says it's like bad period pains but having never had pains I was clueless with my first! I can honestly say it's not that bad. Yeah it hurts but I felt that with gas and air it took the edge off just enough for me to cope with. I've a feeling that if you've suffered from endometriosis then you'll probably cope ok, you might surprise yourself! U seem to have the right idea in keeping yor pain relief options open, just try and concentrate on relaxing every muscle in your body between contractions and try to remind yourself that however bad the pain gets it won't last forever and soon you'll have a little bubba in your arms. Wish u the best of luck xx.
  • My experience wasn't that bad. I only had pethidine as gas and air made me feel sick, it was enough for me just to take the edge of it. I've always had bad period pains so if i can do labour i'm sure you can hun. Just think of it this way if it was that bad woman would only ever have one child, there are a few ladies on here that are on their 5th pregnancy. It's only natural to worry about labour first time round and i do sympathise as i remember that feeling. I'm due today with my second and can promise you it is worth every little bit of it. Sorry to go on and on. :\)
  • Hi Jenny, I had endometriosis aswell, but the good thing is haven't had it since having my children. The only way I can describe the pain, is like it starts in your back and comes round to the front. I only had gas and air with my two and will only have the same with no 3. The good thing about contraction pains it isn't constant, it comes in waves and some are worse than others!! and I would say if you have very bad period pains like I had, you will cope fine with labour. Good luck Karyn xx
  • as long as you try to relax then you can cope {hard i know especially when you got agoninsing pains ripping through your body} sorry but thats how it felt with my first and because i was so tense and panicking it made it soooooo much worse but i've gone back and had another 2 children and i'm 28 weeks pregnant now so in hindsight it can't have been as bad as i thought at the time either that or you really do get new baby amnesia, anyhow my 2nd and 3rd labour were easy because i knew what to expect. sorry for going on a bit but i do think if you are prepared for it to hurt and try to stay calm you can cope with it with little intervention.
  • Hi im due with my second having a c-section this time.. i found coping with the contractions fine and im a whimp the only bit i found hard was the pushing it out bit.. I had a mobile epidural which ment they drained my bladder after they put epi in and then took the catheter out straight away i was also able to move around and walk... i did nt find it painful when it went in just a relief as it took away the pain of contractions.. you could talk to your midwife about this if you feel you need it, i only decided when the pain kicked in... Hope this helps
  • Sorry but i thought it was agony! Probably because i was tense as i was 3 cm dilated and they sent my partner home and gave me two paracetamol(woo!)I normally have a good pain threshold aswell but not with labour. It is true though, once baby is out you forget all about it, thats we have more! I am due my second in 15 weeks and not worried about it though, will try and stay home as long as possible and stay calm if i can!!
  • I don't know about the other ladies but I found the pain worse when I was stressing and worried as soon as I got into breathing through each contraction and visualising the end result I made it slightly easier.....of course as soon as they offered me an epidural I took it LOL!! I just wanted to sleep for a while as it was taking so bloomin long!! (i'm a very impatient person) The only advice I can give to anyone is.....Don't be a hero! You dont get any kind of certificate for going 'au naturel' so if you want pain relief....have it! It doesn't make you any less of a woman or even mother!!! Just try to relax about it and take it as it goes. xxx Claire xxx
  • My labour started with a dull backache however at the time I had no idea I was in labour as bubs still had another week and I was convinced he/she was going to be late. Had a little trickle, I later realised it was my water breaking and then contractions started, mine started really hard and fast, I had no gradual build up that the midwife and the antenatal classes had promised, infact they seemed to start at 2 mins apart!! I too suffered from v painful periods, I did not have endometriosis, infact despite a number of consultants and scans, they could not find out what my problem was, one consultant actually told me the best cure for painful periods was to have a baby!!! Anyway, I digress, the contractions started in the back and then seemed to move round to the front like a massive cramping pain, I used my tens machine but because my labour was so quick, I had no time to build up the endorphins. When I got to hospital I got into the birthing pool and had gas and air and to be honest it was at that point I relaxed. I told myself that the baby was coming out and if I didn't fight against the pain it would be quicker and easier and that seemed to work for me. Also remember that the pain is not constant you get a little break after each contraction to gear up for the next! Admittedly I had a great midwife who encouraged and talked me through each step. Just trust your body, listen to the midwives and take what ever pain relief you feel you need, like Claire has said there are no awards for going 'au naturel'. Just remember that each contraction is a step closer to meeting your little one and as soon as he/she arrives you forget all the pain anyway! take care xxx
  • Best thing to remember is to breathe!!! We all do it at some point, that little sharp intake of breath which we hold when we cut ourselves etc - DON'T DO IT!!!!! Concerntrating on ur breathing helps in 2 ways - the oxygen is good for u and baby plus, in the early stages, it gives u something to focus on! My 1st was painful but only because she was back2back and pressing on a nerve at the same time!!! 1 epidural later and I was fine! lol 2 was gas and air and peth - peth was given bit late thou so was bit out of it when I had her but didn't notice being stitched up!!! 3 was gas and air only and was easiest by far - I actually remembered my advice and breathed thru the pain and got the pushing part down to a tee! Started pushing at 6 and he came out at 6.07! image This time will be gas and air again, and hoping no4 will be just as quick - am due in 8 days and wishing the time away like mad!!!!!!!!! Good luck on ur big day!!! xxx
  • my 1st one was really sore but i think that was because i was induced, 2nd time i thought i had bad wind for 5 1/2 hrs before i decided to phone hospital and was 7 cms dilated, i was terrified but honestly wasnt as bad as i thought, sitting in warm bath really helped take the edge off.Im the sort of person if i cut my finger i cry for days so if i can do it anybody can. good luck.
  • Thanks everyone, all your comments have been really helpful and actually put my mind at ease :\) Its really useful listening to everyones experiences and the that it appears to be true that once the babs is out the pain is forgotten! My mum says she is sure I will push him out like shelling a pea (as she did with us apparently) - I hope she is right! Good luck to you all and thanks again xxx
  • Thanks for the question Jenny 96 and thanks for all the replies ladies! I've been worrying about it too! I'm due with my first in just over 7 weeks and am starting to get a bit panicky, esp when i have cramps and b hicks. It's so nice to hear from everyone and feel supported x