Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Arnica Tablets and tee tree oil advice!

Hi, hoping someone can help!

I'm wanting to buy some arnica tablets to put into my hospital bag to help with bruising after the birth but not sure the strenght needed! You can buy them in 6c or 20c doses! Also would you start taking them on the run up to your due date or just after you've had your LO?

Also wanting to buy some tee tree oil as heard it can be healing and soothing if you put it on your maternity pad after you've had LO but I was wondering would it be worth investing in some tee tree oil cream incase you have a c-sec to use on the scar?

All advice appreciated!
Becky
Xxx

Replies

• hiya
    Im planning on taking arnica about a week before my due date and the low dosage. The only experience I have of arnica is that im a dentist that places implants. This is a surgery for the patient so i get them to take arnica for 1 week before surgery and a few days after. In my opinion it does reduce swelling and bruising, as people that dont take my advice and take it tend to be the ones that bruise.
    I hope this helps you.
    xx
  • I took arnica tablets (not sure which strength) with DD1 but I didn't start taking them until the first signs of labour??? and carried on for a couple of days afterwards.

I didn't feel bruised or sore afterwards (natural labour) so certainly think they worked xxx
  • I asked the pharmacist in Boots about Arnica tablets, as I'm no medication and wanted to check they're ok to use on it (they are) She said not to use Arnica during pregnancy, only after - I would think when you're in labour is ok. She also said (and showed me in her Nelsons guide book) that the higher dose is designed for short term use (such as after childbirth) and the lower one is intended for more long-lasting bruising issues (the example was after a DVT), and therefore longer-term use - so I bought the 30c ones.

I can't really help with the tea tree oil, but wouldn't it sting on broken skin? I've not had a c-sec so don't know what the scar is like.
  • i asked the mw about taking the tablets after esme was born and she said not to as i am breastfeeding
  • Hmm, breastfeeding was something the pharmacist i spoke to mentioned, but she checked and said it was ok
  • Hiya,

Sorry to G/c from born in Aug.
    I used a homepathic kit through the final weeks of pregnancy, labour and after giving birth.
    Arnica is absolutely fine to take and is best to start 2 tablets just once or twice a day from just before you are due, and then when your labour starts take it every few hours (if u remember!!!) then after birth take it every couple of hours for the first 24 hours and then down to a few times a day for about the next week - longer if a c-section.
    One of the other things to remember is not to touch the tablets with your fingers, just pop them out into the lid and tip it onto your tongue, then just let them dissolve.
    Also try not have them within 20 mins of food or drink as this dilutes the effects of the Arnica.
    Tea tree cream can help healing but cant be put on broken skin, if you do it will sting like hell too!!

Sorry edited to say use the 30C ones of Arnica.
    HTH Lisa x

[Modified by: lisalilypops on May 28, 2010 09:18 PM]

• I took arnica from 38 weeks and ended up with episiotomy and vontouse delivery and had very little swelling/bruising - my stitches definatly healed quickly. Agree with lisalilypops' regime of taking it.

I too would be cautious of putting tea tree on maternity towels/scars...the thought brings tears to my eyes, seriously I think it would kill. I didn't put anything on my stitches, kept them clean and dry and they healed super fast with no probs.

Good luck! See you in baby

xxx
  • After my first daughter was born, I put a few drops of lavender oil into my bath which really does help with the healing and pain after childbirth....it's also very relaxing!  My sister is an aromatherapist and recommended it.  Tea tree (6 drops) in a hot bath can also help with the healing....if on a tight budget.....a warm bath with salt is another saving grace!  I've got 2 daughters 14 & 10 and am due my third baby in 6 weeks!  Hope these wee tips help!  I'm defo going to try the arnica tablets this time!  Thanks to all the yummy mummies out there for the tips!!! 

• Homeopathy involves a process known by practitioners as "dynamisation" or "potentisation" whereby a substance is diluted with alcohol or distilled water and then vigorously shaken in a process called "succussion". Insoluble solids, such as quartz and oyster shell, are diluted by grinding them with lactose (trituration). The founder of homeopathy, Samuel Hahnemann (1755 — 1843) believed that the process of succussion activated the "vital energy" of the diluted substance,1 and that successive dilutions increased the "potency" of the remedy.

The idea is pseudoscience, because at commonly used dilutions, no molecules of the original material are likely to remain.