Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

C-section vs natural!! Need help!!!

Hi ladies im 28 weeks pregnant half of me wants a c section the other half doesn’t please give me your opinion on what is best including recovery!! Hear so many different things please help me !!!

thanx xxxxx

Replies

• Is there a medical reason you might need a c-section? Or a medical reason you are concerned about a vaginal Birth? Unless there is a medical reason, you will not be able to have an elective c-section... & unless there is a medical concern about you having a vaginal delivery then that is by far the better option... it’s safer for you and the baby (unless there are medical issues) & very very minimal recovery time. A c-section is MAJOR abdominal surgery... the recovery process takes a good couple of months and during that time your activities are restricted significantly (like not being able to lift more than the weight of your baby for the first 6 weeks).

Are you worried about the pain? There are many pain relief options which can make the process much easier and less scary. I promise you, it’s not as scary as you might think... I had an epidural, didn’t feel any pain once that was in effect, the birth went great and I was back up and walking around within a few hours. 

• If you are in the uk you can have an elective c section but the healing takes a lot longer than a vaginal birth and with a c section you can’t lift anything and it’s hard to walk with a vaginal birth you’re a little sore for about a week but you heal so much quicker xx

• Really mama bear?! That’s a shock to me that they would  a c-section without a good medical reason / just because s lady wants it... I’m not doubting you... I’m just shocked!

• Sw2 it’s ridiculous it really is a c section costs the NHS £12000 and they complain about having no money when they could make people actually give birth I think c sections should be for emergencies only xxxx

• Have a read of this document, it’s the UK hospital recommended guidelines and has a table at the end showing the statistics for risk of both... https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg132

• if its down to choice then my view is v.d. every time. my first was vd with forceps my 2nd was csection it took much longer to heal and "bounce back" and on the pain scale much more painful then my episiotomy! took longer for my milk to arrive too.. am hopinv for a vbac this time x

• A vaginal birth is better for both you and baby if medically safe to do so.

The journey through the birth canal stimulates baby‘s internal organs (most importantly the lungs) aiding in the absorption of amniotic fluid. Labour also stimulates mothers body (production of hormones) to aid in bonding and feeding. That’s not to say these things won’t happen during a c section, but it can be slower.

The recovery period after a c section is 10 times that of a vaginal birth. You wouldnt be able to do many of the things you would be able to after a vaginal birth. There is also a much increased risk of infection from the wound, more pain so therefore more medication. 

This is not me knocking C sections, they save lives and are possibly one of the most valued surgical procedures. But they have their place and that is not in front of natural, vaginal birth.

• c section also you have to give yourself an injection everyday for at least 10 days or 3 months if your at risk of blood clots .. sounds like nothing but man it’s hard to stab yourself after you already have been sliced open. No driving for at least 6 weeks... everything hurts in the first weeks after a section and my goodnes The infections are painful. The scar itself is pretty ugly too tbh and a epidural works and you can’t feel pain. I had an emergency c section which saved my babies life so I’m all up for c sections but I think they should be for emergencies they are not nice.

• i had an elective c-section and i had no medical reason for it. i live in Scotland.

Cant compare it with a vaginal birth as i only have one child but my recovery was very good. for 3-4 days after delivery i was in pain but managed with paracetamol. after 7-8 days i was fine, i could care for my baby, clean the house. i wouldn't go running of course but i was healing and returning to my life.

my scar is fading away but i find it beautiful cos it reminds me my son image. no infections, no open wounds, nothing in my case but there is a risk of this happening. 

obviously a vaginal birth is preferable as it is the normal way of delivery and what we are designed for but at the end of the day its your body, your baby and your choice. 

good luck xx 

• I've gone through both a vagina deliver and a planned section..

although I had a tough labour with my first and ended up with a 3b tear, id rather that than a section!!

i found the whole process of the section so clinical and the recovery was hard. 

i was up about with the section a few hours after but it's so painful. When the baby cries u can't move as quick to get to them. The babies r filled with mucus And the visuals of the scar isnt nice especially if u have body issues. I struggled with the no driving and that made it worse come the 5th day blues..

so I would rather natural delivery xx

• I had a planned c section (uk) as I had twins and the first one was breach. I was terrified and googled everything to help reassure myself. However it was such a pleasant experience, we waited in a room until the surgeons were ready for us, my partner was able to sit through the whole thing including when they put the numbing injection in my back. (which didn’t hurt at all) There was music playing, the aneasthetist was chatting away to me during it all and I was constantly updated on what was going on. Then when they were born they showed me my babies whilst I was being stitched back up and it felt like no time at all had passed until I was in the recovery room. I can honestly say the hardest part was the week following surgery, standing up for the first time was absolute agony and I was allowed home the next day. This was only due to the fact they could see I had lots of support at home. it took me a week to be able to actually go out the house properly for short periods. i know they tell you to wait 6 weeks before you start driving however I felt ok to get back behind the wheel after 3 weeks as I felt almost normal again. I went back to work when the twins were 9 weeks old (my mum is a childminder) and you wouldn’t of know id had major surgery just over 2 months ago! 

Sorry for the essay- i just felt like positive stories like these helped me a lot when I was looking for reassurance online.