Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Pain Relief? Anyone tried epidural or pethidine?

Hi, I have got my birth plan to do, I'm hoping to give birth naturally but really don't know what pain relief to have. 

Has anyone had epidural or pethidine and which one would you recommend?

I know ot doesn't always go to plan. It's my first time and it all just confuses me and scares me. 

Replies

• Pethadine didn’t do anything tbh it made me sleepy the 1st one but it wore off very quick 

i cant give advice on epidural because I didn’t want one and had gas and air once 5cm dilated xx

• Thanks. What are you going for this time? Xx

• Gas and air again I don’t like the thought of the epidural as your legs go numb which is a terrifying though. 

What do you think you’ll  have? Xx

• Thought 

• I gave in and got an epidural at 8 cm dilated and I do not regret it I had been in labour for 2 days and was so tired of the pain I couldn’t feel any pain once I had this yes I was numb but I could wiggle my toes and feet and still push myself up the bed with some help. I then ended up with a spinal block because they thought I would need a section as she was stuck and this did take all feeling away and I coukdnt do nothing at all with my legs but this was only because of the situation. I would say dont rule out an epidural at all as it was the best relief ever. 

Even the spinal block wasn’t to bad I got out of theatre at half 8 after forceps and was walking about by 11am 

• I just don't know what to have. I don't like the thought of not being able to feel my legs neither. But I've read with pethidine it can make you feel sick and dizzy which don't like the thought of that too. 

We would all like it to go straight forward but doesn't always go to plan though does it xx

• Emma I had the perfect labour until I started to push and she got stuck facing the wrong way in the birth canal then it went down hill from there but the most imoort thing was my little girl was ok am glad I had it because I got cut and then had a second degree tear to but they are worth it all this was only last week. 

You can ask to be given anti sickness injections that will stop you feeling sick I had 3 over my 2 day labour and they do work a treat so ask about that to as if they can stop that horrible feeling of sickness you might give it a try I did and it worked but 10 minuets after they gave it to me my waters broke so it just didn’t work and I had to just carry on with gas and air which is also really good once your body adjusts to it as I had that fear of feeling sick and dizzy. 

trust me though once your baby is out it’s all worth it xx

• I had epidural and it was the best thing ever. Also the gas and air which i felt really off my head on, but the epidural was amazing, tho it can slow labour. No prizes for no drugs though - if you need them, have them.