Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How can i tell the difference between real labour and Braxton hicks?

My babies are due in a few days they are so low its unbelievably uncomfortable, I’ve been to my hospital twice with braxton hicks thinking it’s labour and all day I’ve had pain I can’t shift, I’m scared to go back incase it’s braxton hicks again, how do I tell the difference I keep asking and all I get is you’ll know when it starts, someone help please 

Replies

• Sometimes you don’t know the difference honest the hospital would rather you go in.

i thought I was having Braxton Hicks when it ended up I was in labour and got told off because I waiting all day before I rang and I was 3 cm dialated and went into full labour the next day. Everyones labour pains are different mine were just under my bump and that was it through the whole labour but like i say everyone is different I was 5 weeks early to. This was only 2 weeks ago.

Trust me though if your worried just go in your better to be checked over than suffering at home hun. 

Best of luck.

• Honestly it’s getting so bad, I’m worried I’m going to look stupid I’m trying everything they said and nothing is easing, its all around my back and my bump is so tight. It’s starting to stress me out I haven’t had braxton hicks at all in my pregnancy not once, I went this morning and they said it was braxton hicks and nothing to worry about I feel like a drama queen going back but I’m struggling to cope with these pains.

i haven’t lost water or anything yet though, it’s starting to really scare me because if this is braxton hicks I can’t imagine what my labour is going to be like x

• Don’t ever feel stupid hun I went through the exact same and they did a test on me because it started so early at 33 weeks and the test was to check my cervix to see if I was going to go into early labour. It came back there was a small chance that within 2 weeks I could go into labour. I was back and fourth so many times in the next 2 weeks and it was right I gave birth on the 14th day after the test. 

you can never be sure at all when it comes to labour hun. There job is to check you no matter how often you need to go in to be reassured. 

• Thank you for all your advice!!

you were right