Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Giving birth again after having forceps...

I’m currently 15 weeks pregnant with my second child. DD is only 10 months old and I had such a traumatic birth with her. I was 12 days overdue, in labour for 36 hours and after pushing for 2 hours, ended up needing an episiotomy and forceps. I was refused an epidural from the start of my labour and tbh I did cope on gas and air, however with needing forceps I had to have a local anaesthetic down below, which in itself was horrific.

I lost almost a litre of blood and ended up fainting and being put on a drip. In addition to the episiotomy, I also tore in a different place and needed two lots of stitches. DD was 9lb7 and always measured on the 100 centile, so I always knew she was going to be big.

As much as I’m over the moon that I’m expecting baby number 2, I’m petrified of giving birth again. I can remember exactly how it felt having the forceps inserted and having to be cut and stitched up. The healing process was awful too as I struggled to move and ended up with infected stitches. 

I was just wondering if anyone had any positive stories of their second birth if they had a traumatic first? The only positive thing I will say is that although I am terrified, I would like the second birth to be more ‘natural’ i.e not assisted but you never know how it will pan out. 

(Sorry for the long post, haha.)

Replies

• Hi, I have 4 kids. My first was 7.9oz and I was induced, 10 days overdue, I was also pushing for 2 hours, he was stuck, in comes the suction cap thingy, tried that twice, didn't work, then out come the forceps! Finally he was born!!!. I had stitches which ended up infected thanks to my stupid gp. Wasn't a great start to motherhood. My second was completely different birth. Baring in mind I had 3 kids in 4 years. I did have few problems, my waters broke but no contractions, ended up induced, but I wasn't dilated, as they wanted, that worked itself out, but the actual pushing and birth was so different. No help, only gas and air, was much easier no stitches, like you I was dreading the birth and after healing thinking it was going to be the same again but let me tell you it was fine. She was 8lb. Relax, enjoy your pregnancy, maybe you could mention it to your midwife, maybe have something in place in your birth plan. My 3rd literally flew out, no time for anything. 😜

• My first was very similar to yours, 36hours in labour, baby was back to back and started to turn while I was pushing and got stuck, I was prepped for a csection as his heart rate was dipping but they tried forceps first, which worked, I also tore in addition to the episiotomy. My second baby was completely different, I was terrified and refused to write a birth plan as absolutely nothing went to plan the first time so decided there wasn’t any point, my contractions started on their own at 6am, got to the hospital at 8.30ish and by 9am baby was born, I was already 9cm, they broke my waters and my body took over and I just knew what to do, when to push and when not to, I did tear slightly but it was at the top and not somewhere that they could stitch. 

Try and go with the flow with an open mind, every delivery is different, maybe mention to your midwife concerns over the baby being big and hopefully they’ll monitor you  xx

• I am due in 7 weeks and my daughter (2 years old) was a forceps delivery which I found very traumatic. I had a total of 20 hours labour back to back with shooting pains down my legs. I have been extremely anxious about this birth, meeting various consultants and anaesthetists. I have got a letter of consent to have an early epidural as I do not want to experience the same birth as my 1st. The thought of it now makes me physically sick. I just need to be a little open minded and go with the flow. I was also cut down below which was just HELL. If you are overly worried, request to speak to a midwife or like me get a referral to speak to a senior Anaesthetist. xx