Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What happens after you get home from hospital?

edited Mar 11, 2019 3:27PM in Labour & birth

Just looking for advice on how others has organized family/friends visiting after you return home from hospital.As husband will be home we want to make sure we have time together as family before he goes back to work

Replies

• if you want time to yourself explain to family and freinds that you don't want visitors and when you do want company that's fine to that they should understand if want that midwife comes around after a day or 2 to weigh baby and ask how things are and then if all well sign u off for her to not come around if health visitor will also do heal prick for sickle disease and a hearing test xx
  • The days with a newborn are long. You might find that you feel you get adequate time with your partner. Maybe just allow 1 or 2 visitors per day and don’t be shy about saying to them that you’re tired so you’d appreciate if they only stay an hour
  • @Townie we put a 2 week ban on visitors to take away all expectations for people, and then we have invited people as and when we feel up for it for specific times - ie- hey so and so. If you fancy a cuddle with Emily would Saturday at one for an hour work for you?
    we’re just at the end of those 2 weeks now and I’m glad we did it as I’ve had some blood pressure problems and have daily midwife visits and trips to hospital including overnight stays.  I’ve arranged one person to come and on the day it was too much so we cancelled. 
    So you are free to say whatever you want. The first few weeks are so precious - protect your time as a family and give yourself lots of rest to heal. 
  • I didn't want visitors for the first couple of weeks other than immediate family. I felt I was too tired. Having said that... I wished I had just got some of them out of the way earlier as had so many. Just do what you feel comfortable with..
  • Its so hard as family and friends will want to meet your new addition as it is an exciting time but it is also your precious time as a family you wont get back snd unfortunatly dads only get two weeks off, sometimes only one so you need to get used to each other in that time and get your bond with baby. I have a 4 week old and we got bombarded when we got home by family, i only have my mum but my husbands family piled round, it was over whelming as i was breast feeding aswell and i hsve 4 other children. But then when they all went i thought its over and done now and its just us. We hsd a really rough two weeks and i ended up back in after a week because of retsined placenta snd was quicte poorly so i then needed my friends and famiky to help out. Its hard but you do whats best for your family cause what works for one isnt for someone else xx
  • edited Aug 21, 2019 8:54AM

Post deleted by MadeForMums. 
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines