Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

What were you allowed to take pictures of for your c section?

I’m having my planned c section in about 4 weeks time and wondered what you’re allowed to take pictures of? I know every hospital differs though. I’d like a picture of when they’ve just taken him out and lift him above the sheet. Also was your partner allowed to go over to where they clean baby up and take pictures of weighing, measuring etc? Lastly anybody who had a general with their c section, did midwives or nurses take pictures for you? I may have to have a general and so sad that me and my partner will miss everything. 

Replies

• Hi, I had a emergency c section and when the surgeon was about to lift the baby out he asked if we wanted the screen lowered so we could see our son being born, they waited till my husband got the camera ready and he was able to take loads of photos. He then went to the table with our son and because he couldn't cut the umbilical cord from the placenta he trimmed it, but No one took a pic of that, but I was able to crane my neck to see him do it. They didnt actually weigh our son till we were in recovery and again no pictures of that, for some reason it was done in a different room. Hope it all goes well. Xxx 
  • Hi, I had a c section 7 weeks ago, mine was planned and only had spinal so I’m not sure on the part of the general. As of pics when the baby is born, we never got the chance to take pics of the birth and they didn’t offer the screen lowered but i had twins so maybe that is wise, though my husband was allowed to go over when they were weighing to cut the rest of the cord off but no photos of them weighing and checking them over. They told us when we could have photos. 

Hope everything goes well 
    Hannah 
  • Hi, I had an emergency section in December. I had a spinal so was aware of the whole thing. The screen got lowered for us to see the baby being lifted but we didn't take a picture. Hubby was able to go over to see the baby being weighed and cut the cord etc and was allowed to take pictures then. Also the midwife took our first family picture for us. 
    Good luck! X
  • I had a planned c section nearly 2 weeks ago,I wasn't offered to have the screen lowered but I would have refused.My husband did cut the cord but only after it was already been cut from me.We were taken to a different room for recovery and for baby to be weighed this is where my husband took pictures of baby.My husband was told before that he wasn't to take pictures of anyone involved in the process of delivery of baby
  • Hi, I had a section 4 weeks ago. I had the spinal so was awake, the screen was left up (which I requested) and the midwives were brilliant, they said either they would take pictures or my husband could. I started to feel sickly so wanted my husband near me, the midwives took pictures of my baby as soon as he came out, while they were cleaning him up and on the weighing table then also of the 3 of us afterwards (but still in theatre) It sounds like all hospitals are different so I would just ask before you go in for the section. I was adamant I wanted pictures of the whole thing. 
  • Hi Ladies, 

I work in theatres and at our hospital we allow pictures to be taken, however it is against policy to have any pictures of staff members. Generally most of us offer to take pictures for you, so don't be afraid to ask!

We don't lower the sheet allowing you to see the birth of baby but we do have a camera that you can watch from if you wanted (bare in mind every hospital is different and may not have this). You can also ask if your partner can take a photo of baby when being held over the sheet. 

I tend to feel on edge when dad's want to watch the birth or stand around, as I've seen many pass out or about to pass out that we have to take them out of theatre. 

When baby is born, the midwife will take baby into another room but we always keep doors open so you can see what they are doing unless there is a problem. Dad/partner is able to go into the other room to see baby, take photos, trim the cord (sorry, it's already cut) and when weighing and measuring after which, they are able to have a cuddle.

Unfortuately if you have a General anaesthetic, your partner will not be able to come in, you can ask midwife to take photos if they are able, but with a general anaesthetic we have to be a bit quicker. Sometimes we allow dad into the other room once baby has been born to see the cleaning up etc but midwifes can also wait to weigh and measure when your awake and altogether. Again just ask your midwife all of this, she will be able to answer everything. 

I hope this helps, please feel free to messege me directly if you want any other information. 

Good luck with everything, hope all goes well for you

X