Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Options for how to give birth (sorry long post)

edited Aug 8, 2019 11:54AM in Labour & birth
With my 1st I ended up with an emergency c section following failed induction due to pre eclampsia not being diagnosed until the very end of the pregnancy. 
We ended up in hospital for a week after due to my still being poorly after giving birth then baby having an infection. Due to all of his I ended up with PND as well.

This time I'm under consultant care and being monitored every week, so far we've had no problems.

My dilemma is how to give birth I personally would like to try VBAC but everyone else around me keep pushing me to have another section as they think this will be easier. I personally would rather not as we have a toddler at home who is used to it just being me and him as husband works away during the week. I don't want him getting upset because I can't pick him up like I normally do etc, everytime I mention all of this I just get told we're all here to help etc. 

I feel like no one is listening to what I want, and maybe I should just have a section to shut people up. 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Replies

• Options
    Hi, it's your decision as long as you and baby are both healthy! I've had two natural births and apparently they are a lot easier than a c sec. Don't let people push you into having another section if that's not what you want. Do some research about VBAC and see the pros and cons.. good luck xx
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that you are not getting the support you need. Out of curiosity, who is pushing you to have a section? If it's friends and family, sorry to hear that. I'm sure they mean well, but it's your body and baby and you should choose what makes you feel more at ease.

I'm pregnant with my second. Had an emergency section, and was hospitalised with pre eclampsia after birth. I'm hoping for a VBAC, and that's what my midwife and doctor have recommended. My section went well and my recovery was good too.  If I end up having a section again, that's fine (can't control everything!), but I'm hoping for a VBAC as that's what makes me feel better mentally. 

If it's friends and family recommending the section, maybe you could look into the medical pros of why a VBAC will benefit you. This might make sense to some people and get them to see things from your point of view. 

Definitely try and be strong and choose what you want. You do to want to look back and regret anything. X 
  • Options
    JaneDC said:
    Sorry to hear that you are not getting the support you need. Out of curiosity, who is pushing you to have a section? If it's friends and family, sorry to hear that. I'm sure they mean well, but it's your body and baby and you should choose what makes you feel more at ease.

I'm pregnant with my second. Had an emergency section, and was hospitalised with pre eclampsia after birth. I'm hoping for a VBAC, and that's what my midwife and doctor have recommended. My section went well and my recovery was good too.  If I end up having a section again, that's fine (can't control everything!), but I'm hoping for a VBAC as that's what makes me feel better mentally. 

If it's friends and family recommending the section, maybe you could look into the medical pros of why a VBAC will benefit you. This might make sense to some people and get them to see things from your point of view. 

Definitely try and be strong and choose what you want. You do to want to look back and regret anything. X 
    It's family mainly we have a consultant appointment next week, so I'm going to see what they say, I did speak to my husband again and he was more supportive than he has been so we shall see what happens next week. Xx
  • Options
    As long as there is no preeclampsia again there is no reason why you shouldnt have a completely natural birth. Doctors nowadays want to do c sections for all kinds of things. Dont let them talk you into something that isnt medically necessary.  
    "Easier" isnt a reason. C section would be easier for them, and better paid. But might end you with pnd again and that's not easy. If you're physically healthy and the pregnancy is easy have a natural birth. 

You can even look into hypno birthing and have an uneducated birth.