Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

lavender oil baths after birth, what's your recommendation?

HI

Can anybody recommend lavender oil baths after giving birth or anything that worked for you to help with the healing and trauma down there? Where did you you buy the products from?

Many thanks
Alison

Replies

• Hi,

I popped a small amount of milk in a glass, added 3 or 4 drops of lavendar oil (from Boots but any chemist or health food shop should stock it) then poured this under the warm running water as the bath was running. Yum.

I still do it now sometimes even though stitches are well healed as a bit of a treat!

Clare x
  • Tea tree oil worked for me!!
  • Ano you'll prob think OMG! but i tore raly badly and eanded with loads of stitches and was swollin down there, twice the size you should be down there. but i alternated for salt to lavander, i had to have a bath twice a day so id have 1 with lavander and one with salt (normal kitchen salt), salt realy helps clean down there and the lavander takes the swelling and bruising away

xlisax
  • Hello!

This may sound a little strange but I had a third degree tear and episiotomy back in April 2008 and recommend dettol baths (the stuff at the medicine bit in the supermarket not the cleaning stuff!!!) - the bottle even talks about maternity use!

I had two dettol baths a day with a cold shower on your bits after to help the swelling and everything healed really well and really quickly!

I also took arnica
  • the body shop sell lavendar bath powder and bodywash, i used them both after having stitches with my first and they were great, the lavendar made me feel nice and clean down there when in reality its all a bit grim x
  • What is it about lavender that makes it the # 1 choice for bath salts? Well, it could be lavender's delicate and harmonizing scent that seems to agree with everyone's senses. Or, maybe it's all of the therapeutic benefits associated with Lavender. It works wonders on the skin- It's antiseptic qualities can help to treat certain skin conditions such as acne and also can reduce inflammation. It also conditions the body by relieving muscle aches and pains and can even remedy headaches.

So, when you draw a warm bath and add lavender salts, you're sure to create an enjoyable experience. Simply smelling the aroma of this essential oil calms and relaxes ones mind and promotes a restful, uninterrupted night's sleep.

Pacific Sea Salt in a Medium Grain scented with pure Lavender Essential Oil with a soft lilac color. Available with or without natural dried lavender buds.
  • What is it about lavender that makes it the # 1 choice for bath salts? Well, it could be lavender's delicate and harmonizing scent that seems to agree with everyone's senses. Or, maybe it's all of the therapeutic benefits associated with Lavender. It works wonders on the skin- It's antiseptic qualities can help to treat certain skin conditions such as acne and also can reduce inflammation. It also conditions the body by relieving muscle aches and pains and can even remedy headaches.

So, when you draw a warm bath and add lavender salts, you're sure to create an enjoyable experience. Simply smelling the aroma of this essential oil calms and relaxes ones mind and promotes a restful, uninterrupted night's sleep.

Pacific Sea Salt in a Medium Grain scented with pure Lavender Essential Oil with a soft lilac color. Available with or without natural dried lavender buds.
  • I was advised to start taking arnica tablets right after birth. Also to use tea tree oil in the bath (with a cup of milk to help it disperse) - I found this really helped. I also put tea tree oil on my maternity pad which was lovely and cooling. I delivered on the 1st with a 2nd degree tear and episiotomy and my wounds have all healed up now no problem. I am now using arnica bath soak every day (wasnt allowed this until the wound had healed though). I also found regular pain relief a must as i couldnt sit, stand or lie properly for a while after.
  • I agree..... A Dettol bath hits the spot !!!!!!! I had a 3rd degree tear and tonnes of stitches.....Dettol when I got home in the bath was just lovely !!!

DLAM xxx
  • Hi I had my little boy the end of feb2011 and ended up being cut twice I also used the tea tree oil in my bath and on the pads bit becaus I didn't breast feed I also took paracetomal and nurafen every 4-6 hours as I felt I had been kicked down there. X image
  • i work with pregnant women and women who have just delivered, we've always been told to advise pure lavender oil in a bath - just a few drops - no bath or shower gel or lavender flavoured products - this has been proven in research to aid perineal healing.

Our mum's generation were told salt and - while it does no harm - when they actually did research they found you'd need ten bags in a bath to make any odds!

I bought pure lavender oil from holland and barrett and its in my hospital bag ready to go x
  • Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat Guidelines.

• I had an episiotomy on the 15/08/15 and nearly three weeks down the line im still stingy and a bit itchy also the area feels really tight some of my stitches came undone and the midwife explained it as gaping i dont dare look i used lavender oil for a few days and saw no change iv decided to try dettol but im really terrified that i have an infection. Also when i wake up in the morning and change my pad its a bit odoury sorry TMI i just need some reassurence its getting me down so much i feel awful for my partner having to watch me cry about it every day my midwife checked a week ago and spooted the stitchig had come undone from the outside going in how would it look now if i peaked would it still be gapig or could it have healed abit now sorry its too much info 

• edited Aug 5, 2019 11:00AM
    I am not sure about it. whether use it or not. but you can use for a 3-4 years old babies
    A few drops of chamomile or lavender oil in the water at bath time can help to soothe and calm baby. In turn, this may help the baby sleep