Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

scared of delivery after last traumatic birth (help)

im 27 weeks now and have been thinking a lot lately of how its gona go, my first baby was 8lb10oz (prob an average size now) and i was told that he was too big for me, i was pushing for 3 hours and he wouldt move down so theydecided to use vacuum which worked eventually. well move on to my second baby, the hospital only discoverd the day before he was born that he was a large baby (by this stage i was already a week overdue). they decided on an induction but thankfully i went into labour myself the night before. same story here as my first baby, pushing for three hours and they didnt seem to want to do anything. Next thing i know im being wheeled into the operating room and was told that i had to get a spinal in order for them to try the vacuum, the doc did that for ages then on to the forceps and they nearly didnt work but thankfully they did. next stage was to be a secion (which i feel i shoud have had a lot earlier). My son was born 10lb 6oz, i was suprised he was ok after all he went through, he had a huge mark form the forceps down the front of his face. He suffered as a result of his traumatic entrance after and he was re-admitted to hospital for poor feeding and he was in a lot of pain. you do seem to for get that they suffer too!!
I know it doest sound that bad but it was an experience that i dont want repeated, its still fresh in my mind.

im totally scared to death of birth this time and would love to hear from anyone that has asked for an early induction or a section. im really considering it but not sure wat my options would be.

please help........

Replies

• didn't want to read and run. i'd just suggest you let midwife/consultant know asap that you won't go through that again (you could tell them worried about stress during rest of your preg) hope you get it sorted x
  • Hi Noleenj,
    Have you considered or discussed having a c-section this time? You need to do what is best for you and to ensure the safe arrival of your baby. I had en emerg c-section with my 1st son and will be having another c-section in Nov with my 2nd. Voice your concern now and hope you will work something out.
  • hi it is your right to do what you think is best. I know docs think thay know best but you know your own body better than anyone.

I had two emergency c sections due to prolapsed cord and my daughter was lay transverse and got stuck because they wouldnt beleive i was in labour.

You can request a c section especially with a history of big babys.

Talk it through with your midwife or doctor and see what they say good luck

Hope it all goes well
  • hi, i feel your worry, my first baby's delivery was traumatic. i pushed for 4 hrs and nothing, we had ventouse and then forceps, she really wouldnt budge! (she also had a cut to the face from forceps on her cheek bone) the long labour casued complications with my placenta, and a trip to theatre. i was not looking forward to another labour like that with my second. i voiced my concerns to a consultant, she studied my notes and i was offered a c-section although nervous we booked it. however my son decided to come on his own 4 days before the ceserean! hes 8 weeks now, and was born much quicker with the help of ventouse. im sure if you tell the midwfies / obstritrician how worried you are, they only have to look at your previous notes to by sympathetic and talk through your options and give reassurance.

good luck
  • hi all thanks for all you suggestions, im now 35weeks and ive been told that my baby will only be about 8lb by due date so im no longer concerned.
    thanks again!!
  • Hi you poor thing my son now 12 mnths old his was a long and painful birth which ended up in theatre with foceps then vacum then they decided to do a c section after 39 hours of labour , my contractions were awful from the start he was back to back they only realised when they did the cs that my pelvis is so tilted that he would never be deliverd normaly i also damaged my cocyx still sufferin and 18 weeks pgnt thankfully they will do cs week before am due i hope u get some help and all goes well good luck hun x
  • hi.i know how you feel my son was 10lb 12oz and im only a size 6-8!he got stuck for a long time and he was too far down to have a section.in the end i had to have the cut(cnt remember the name)which hurt,badly and i managed to get him out but at the time i thought never would i go throught hat again or have ababy in that danger agian but here i am 8 weeks pregnant and i am worried it will happen again.i told the midwives i knew the baby was going to be big and they said they didnt think so.this time they have told me i will either have to have a secton or induction weeks earlier as a baby that size not meant 4 my body.im sure you will be fine,you will be in capable hands at the hospital but if you want a section don't ask for one demand one!