Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Is this traumatic? Some questions

Hi ladies,

I don't know if I should be posting on here, but I'm just wondering a few things.
Firstly a quick birth story..

Went into labour on the thurs night, when oh got home I had some bleeding so called labour ward and went in, started getting contractions on the way over there, about 5mins apart from the start. Went to day unit and was assessed and they examined me and I was 4cm so went over to labour ward.
Went outside for a walk and to call some family and they picked up a notch or 2!
After hours on the birthing ball and with the gas and air, I was going to go and get into the water as was 7cm, but then the ward sister said I was too heavy - BMI too high so risk of themnot being able to get me out if needed imageops: so the mw said she's run me a bath and they'd pour water on me, by this point though I was layed on the bed which made the pain worse and I started saying I wanted an epidural, which the mw didnt want me to have as Id gone so long wihtout it, but they went and sorted itr out.
Before he did it my waters went and I got alot of pressure on my tummy - was very weird.
After the epidurlal I was strapped up to be monitored and babies heart rate kept dropping a bit with each contraction. When I got to 10cm they gave me another hour for baby to come down before pushing. They they let me push for 45 mins but due to the epidural not alot was happening, so they went to get forceps and did an episiotomy. I could feel an awful lot of yanking as the forceps were put in etc, and after a while my baby girl was born and put on my tummy.
I was stitched up for ages and there waas blood everywehere. They said I lost a lot and I needed to have a drip or iron put in 3 times after the birth and have iron tabs for a month.
After I had her they said when they were feeling my tummy they could tell the baby felt big (she was 9lb 15.5oz) and it scares me to think that if I hadn't had the epidural what the hell would have happened.
My worries are, it took me prob 3 months to heal down there, for the first 6 weeks I was in agony walking to longer than about 10 mins, at times i was in tears it was so painful.
A few days after the birth my mw came ot look at my stitches and they'd opened a bit and my oh had to look at them as i refused to, so he could tell the next mw if it was any better or not. I finally looked and they'd opened alot, and there was talk of me having them re-done but luckily after all this time ive healed. This is what has traumatised me I think.

My questions/worries are -

If I have another baby is there a chance it will be just as big if not bigger?
I was over-weight to start with, but I wondered if I lost weight would that make my chances of having a smaller baby higher?
Would I be monitered during the pregnancy to check the size of the baby?

I'm just so worried I wouldhave to have another episiotomy and then would take even longer ot heal with 2 babies to look after.

Sorry if this post isnt meant for here.
xxx

Replies

• Hiya, I know how you feel. My 1st child was 9lb 3oz and I had what would be described as a 'normal' birth. There was nothing 'normal' in my mind about giving birth to such a large baby lol. Anyway that was in 2002 and my 2nd baby is due next month,
    I was really traumatised by the birth I hadn't slept for a couple of days because of the pain and only had an injection and gas and air. I begged for the epidural but they told me I was too far gone. I haemorraged when I had my son as I stood off the bed and was torn internally quite bad. I had no stitching or aftercare and was told to go to the loo within ten mins of having him. I also pulled so hard on the backs of my legs during the delivery I ripped my shoulder blade out and needed physio and also to see a gynae as I had totally shot my pelvic floor and tummy muscles. I found it hard walking and couldn't hold him for long as I got back ache and was getting infections internally for the following year,
    I was a size 12-14 when I had my son and was the same size this time but have put on a lot less weight, had no cravings etc and am having another boy. I am dreading the birth and would rather get knocked out and have a c-section I'm just hoping the birth will be quicker but I'm not holding my breath. My nephew was over 10lb and my brother 2 wks prem was still 7.5lbs I'll let you know how big baby is xjx
  • Thank you for your replies.

Oh Smoochiegal what a tough time you had, I really hope that this birth goes well for you. I will look out for you - are you in the due in Dec? I guess I'm holding out that no two births are the same.
    Have you explained your worries to your mw?
    I really hope it goes well for you xx