Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

has anyone had to be induced?? im terrified!! lol

um, im being induced in 13 days and im 36 wks atm, and im really scared! expecting a boy, my first baby, i just want him to be here already!! is it safe to be induced?? help pls! x

Replies

• hi queen b, and thanx! um ive got diabetes, diet controlled, and the hospitals policy is to induce before 38 weeks. the docs had me terrified, telling me my baby was measuring six weeks too big, but i had a scan ten days ago, and he was estimated at six pounds! not v big atall! lol. and ive been worried about him getting stuck, i really want a c-section, believe it or not!! i think ive just got myself all worried reading about horror birth stories on the net, noone ever writes about good experiances! so thankyou for doing so! im def gna write about mine, if its good! lol.
    um if you can be bothered, hehe, do u think you could tell me anymore about it??
    thanx again xx
  • Hey,

I was induced because my lo was 2 weeks late.

I'll honest and say that it wasn't the best experience but my body just didn't do what it was supposed to do!!

Some details - though my memory very hazy of the whole thing...

I went in Thursday night - they examined me and inserted a pessary. This is done to trick the cervix into wanting to dialate and put you in labour. In the morning I was having contractions but still not dialating so they inserted another pessary. As it was my first labour thy expected to do 2 pessarys. (In my hospital is was their policy to do 3 pessarys and I think I would have had the option of trying to be induced again or a c-section if nothing had happened as I was overdue.)

I got to 4 cms then I was taken to the labour room, my cervic was not dialating very quickly so they put me on a drip to increase the contractions.

They will monitor you really closely, including a strap over your bump that measures the babies heart beat and the contractions.

I ended up with having both pethadine and an epidural, alongside my tens machine and gas and air.

The trouble is that your body is 'tricked' into going into labour, for me it was painful but then it was my first so cant compare it!

Some people have better experiences but you should prepare yourself for a long labour and what pain releif your happy with.

What got me through it was that once they start inducing you they keep going till you meet your baby. I just kept thinking over and over that i would get to see my baby soon - and once she was born at 6.55am on the saturday morning it was all worth it!

It is very safe to be induced as you get monitored very closely.

Good luck - i'll look forward to seeing you in baby soon and hearing all about it!!

Lisa

[Modified by: Loopy Loo on January 19, 2009 06:00 PM]

• Hi, good luck with the induction. If you're curious to know what is likely to happen, we've got a feature called All about induction that might help: http://www.babyexpert.com/Birth/Induction-~-what-happens^/v1
    or check out our Birth stories section for some positive stories about induction: http://www.babyexpert.com/Birth/Birth-stories/cat
    Web Ed Nicola
  • I was induced for a couple of reasons. Firstly I had gestational diabetes and my hospital said they would not let me go over my due date. I was told throughout my pregnancy that I was having a big baby - he was just under 7ib when born (big baby must have been swapped at some point LOL). Secondly, I have always had high blood pressure and it started to rise higher from 38wks.

I was in hospital a week. First 3 days were having pessaries put in and then being put on the monitor. Not much happened and I was so bored. I was last to leave triage, and they had even forgotten I was still there. Pessaries got me to 1.5cm eventually. Think it was another sweep they gave me then to try to get me dilated enough to have my waters broken (f'ing painfull)! Went to delivery finally, thought they had broken my waters (found out 3 hrs later they had not so went through it all again). That bits OK but if you are squeemish dont look at the size of the hook LOL. bet you will now LOL.

The drip was then started to encourage frequency and strength of contractions. Mine started OK but then I overstimulated and was having 1 huge neverending contraction. When was checked nearly 24hrs later I was still only 3cm dilated. My son was born by emergency c/section at my request as I couldnt cope anymore.

This is a very quick overview of my experience, which was not positive until my section, and I didnt want to scare you with my story. Surfice to say I wont be having another induction. Remember every person is different though and just because it didnt work for me doesnt mean it wont go smoothly for you.

All the best

Beckie and Zacky (30weeks)
  • thankyou all for all your advice, im still scared tho! some of you have had bad experiances, and im just worried, i dont want to be in hospital for a week! lol! im gna have an appointment on thursday, and im going to ask again if i can have a c-section. id just rather he was delivered quickly so he doesnt get stuck or distressed. im really worried, it just seems soo complicated! hope ur all well and thanx again!! xx
  • hi s-lexy i was induced and yes i was in hospital for a week. its not a particularly pleasant experience i will be honest but at that point (i was almost 42 weeks) I was happy to give anything a go!! i ended up having to have an emergency c-sec anyway as wasnt dilating once they had broken my waters and done the 3 induction tablets. this time round im having an elective c-sec as just very tiring. Really hope you will be fine hun. normally it just brings on the contractions qucker and hopefully baby will be with you in no time! Try not to be scared hun (i know its easier said than done though). x x x
  • hey,

I totally agree with moony. Giving birth is a unique experience, you may regret not getting to experience labour by opting for a c-section.

There can be complictions with c-sections and the recovery time is much longer. If you have a -section you will be kept in hospital longer.

Lisa
  • I was induced and from my experience I would say it is nothing to fear. For me it was quick, I had the pessary at 10pm, contractions started about 4am then she was bornat 1.48pm. Yes it was painful but it was my first labour so I have nothing to compare it to, and I got through it with only Diamporphine (which only seemed to make me sick, wish I hadn't had it) and Gas & Air (which I didn't get until 5cm dilated)

I was in hospital for a week as I was induced for 'mild' pre-eclampsia, and it was hospital policy to keep you in for monitoring for bp. It's not all bad, at keast there is plenty of help on hand with baby and to show you how to do things (like BF, first bath etc)

Good luck and try to relax, fear will make pain seem worse. Just keep focussing on the end result - you will have your baby in your arms!

Corinna x
  • hi i was induced with my 2nd because i was 2weeks over due & to be totaly honest there wasnt much differecne from my 1st in fact my eldest was born 6lb 12oz & had to be delivered by vontose on my due d8 ( due to me havin really hi blood pressure) but my 2nd was born at 9lb normaly after being induced n i didnt find it any harder than the 1st time xx hope all goes well 4 u xxx good luck xx
  • hi i was induced with my 2nd because i was 2weeks over due & to be totaly honest there wasnt much differecne from my 1st in fact my eldest was born 6lb 12oz & had to be delivered by vontose on my due d8 ( due to me havin really hi blood pressure) but my 2nd was born at 9lb normaly after being induced n i didnt find it any harder than the 1st time xx hope all goes well 4 u xxx good luck xx