Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My Birth Story

Hello,
I don't normally post anything on this site, joined a while back but haven't really been on since. Don't know why i'm writing this now but think i need to write it down to, hopefully, get it off my mind!
Had my DS on 26th July 2009, he is my first baby. Pregnancy was really straightforward didn't have any sickness or any other problems. Went into labour on sunday morning at 4am, the contractions came really quickly almost straight away, we rung the hospital who said to have a bath as that would help relieve the pain a little and to call them back once my contractions were regularly every two minutes. I managed to last another hour and half but the contractions were pretty much five minutes apart for most of that time, they then started being two minutes apart so we rung the hosptial again, they told us to come in but that we'd probably have to go home as they didn't think i'd be that far along and these things that ages.
We got to the hospital about 6am they checked me and i was 9cm dilated, the midwife said that we should have our baby by 9am. Me and DH thought excellent, will be easier than we thought, he rung my parents and told them so that they could make their way to the hosptial for that time.
Because i was so far along i wasn't allowed any pain relief except gas and air. At about 8am they suggested going into the water pool which we did, the water pool was excellent, would definitely do that again if i have another. At 10am my waters went in the pool and i started pushing.....
At about 11.30 my DS still hadn't arrived and the midwife got a bit concerned so i was wheeled to a different floor where the assisted births are, whilst down there they checked me and said that my DS wasn't facing the right way so they would give me something to delay the labour and give him time to turn. It didn't work, at 12pm they put the suction on him which didn't work, they then cut me which didn't work so they ended up using the forceps - all this was done on gas and air which i am quite proud of image DS was finally born at 12.54pm. They placed him on me and i remember saying to my DH look, we've got a baby boy but he didn't really react just sat there and was looking at something on the floor, later found out he could see blood flowing out of me onto the floor! They took my DS off me and started to stitch me up, then they were saying that they couldn't stop the blood flow. DH went out to tell my parents that we had a little boy, when he came back in they were preparing me for surgery and he was ushered out of the room. Everything is a little hazzy for me, don't overly remember this bit just that i'd started to feel faint.
They took me to theatre and gave me a spinal block, i reacted badly to this was sick everywhere, over myself and the nurses. Whilst they were working on me i had a panic attack and was sedated. Think i was in surgery for around an hour, when i went up to the recovery room i started shivering and couldn't stop. They had to put a heated blanket on me to try and warm me up. Because of the amount of blood i lost i had to have a four pint blood transfusion. DH later told me that they lost the blood which is why it took so long, also said that when they tried to give me the transfusion they attempted to put it in on the same arm as my drip was which didn't work.
Was later taken to the ward and finally got to meet my son properly. I am all healed now, although the stiches were coming out for weeks afterwards. Took me a while to bond with my DS but now am completely besotted with him xx

Replies