Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

scared for second birth

hello i had my little boy whos nearly 9 months in january and am not expecting my second in the new year.I had a lot of problems giving birth with my 1st mostly due to midwives not doing there job properly I ended up with with not just a tear but being split 56 stitches and a scar that keeps getting infected and may not even be able to have a normel birth with this one but if i do what are the chances of tearing again had anyone got any good experiences after there 1st sorry to moan just a bit worried thanks x

Replies

• Options
    hi

my first was a very difficult breech vaginal birth. I was cut but tore too. I was petrified when i fell preggers again. however, Chris was delivered 3 weeks early (for other reasons) and since he was only 5lb 11oz he flew out and only grazed me with his shoulder on way out.
    My 4th was a very quick labour and big baby and I tore quite badly again. With my 5th I was going to be induced at 37 weeks to slow down the labour and try to control it and to also stop the baby been too big. This all went out the window as I had placenta previa and the baby came at 35 weeks

There are options out there so you need to discuss them with your team and get the birth that is best for you.

Good Luck and try not to worry too much. one thing I have learnt from 5 births is that they are all so very different.

d x
  • Options
    Hi

I had a third degree tear with my daughter a year ago on Wednesday and I am expecting my second in february. I am lucky as my tear has healed well. I think there are differing beliefs on the liklehood of tearing again and it it depends on the possible reasons for you tearing the first time. I had a very fast birth, was flat on my back with my legs in stirrups, had an uncontrolled pushing stage (her heart rate kept dropping so they were keen for me to just get her out and she is my first baby which is also a contributing factor.

I want a vaginal birth this time and spoke to an independent midwife about reducing the risks of tearing. She believes diet is important and you should increase your intake of fish (for the oils), try perineal massage, birthing position is very important (hands and knees or lying on your left hand side) and a controlled pushing stage. Wait for yourself to be fully dilated and ease the baby out, she recommended feeling the babies head, lots of panting to control it.

there's quite a lot of info on the web but you should also be referred to a consultant to discuss with him. I am seeing mine on Tuesday.
  • Options
    hi, i had a terrible birth with my first, i nearly died having him, so when i was in labour with my second i was panicking big time screaming thinking it would be same, but it was nothing like, it was a hell of a lot quicker, less painful and no stitches or tears etc was wonderful experience and there weren much of an age gap between my first two either, you will be fine. gd luck sara xx
  • Options
    Hiya

I am the same, with my 1st i had a horrific birth, scares me to think about it, she was 7lb10 born after 3 days labour, major stitches bleeding baby not breathing etc etc everything went wrong, i was dreading having my 2nd, had nightmares for months but it was an amazing experience, i had a slight bit of gas & air but mainly had no pain relief, it was very quick I had no stitches etc & he was 9lb 4 born, i really wouldnt worry yourself too much hopefully you'll find 2nd time round is much easier than the first.

Good luck x
  • Options
    my second baby is due july 2009 i had my 1st son 13 months ago i had a scary 1st birth i had failed forceps then failed epedural during my emergency c section. i have a large c section scar and have minor tear underneath! i want a natural birth with this one but have been told i might not get 1. im so nervous and its still 7 months away!