Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

hospital problems

Ahhh help.

I am 17 weeks pregnant and have already discovered that I cannot attend antenatal classes as they are fully booked and have been for months and so are most private classes in the area. Gutted!

Salford Royal Hospital where I plan to give birth is overcrowed already due to Trafford General being closed down. I visited A and E after I was bleeding and heard a woman giving birth in the next waiting room as maternity was full. Not nice on a Friday night with all the drunks on the corridor outside!

I have been for a scan and even this set up was bad with them running half a day behind schedule and the waiting area being so busy you couldnt sit down for hours! So if this is what the arranged scans are like cab you imagine what is going to happen when i go into labour. I joked to my midwife that I would be giving birth on the corridor and she kind of looked at me to say "that could happen"!

Has anybody else had a bad experience with NHS? I would love to go private and I am willing to pay the price but finding a private hospital near Manchester that deals with births is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

It doesnt help that I am petrified of giving birth either!

Also, can anyone recommend a good antenatal dvd? Think this is gonna be my only option.

Thanks

Replies

• Options
    can you not get referred to a different hospital ask your midwife or gp about it i had a choice of 2 wigan or ormskirk even though im technically not in the ormskirk area and im about 12 miles away. Its definately worth asking.

As for the classes i didnt find it particulary useful it was mostly about stages of labour when to go to hospital breast feeding a short old fashioned video and some leaflets all of which you can get from a decent book, i got the kaz cooke one. The ward visit was good though as i was very nervous of going to hospital and i was tempted to have a home birth, which i might with the next on the midwives advice. They actually said they didnt want to see me back!!!

In the meantime relax!!!