Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Premature babies

Hi everyone,

After discovering my cervix was open at 16 weeks, me and hubby have been convinced that this baby is going to be early. The wait till 24 weeks seemed like for ever!

I'm 30 + 3 weeks today and so chuffed that i'm still pregnant!!
A few days ago my tummy went really tight, it wasn't painful but made my eyes water. I've never had it since, it felt like someone was pushing my belly really hard from the sides.
And now i have... lets say... a really upset tummy! I never suffer with this andalthough i'm sure this is just something i've eaten, i remember reading on here that this happens quite often befire you go into labour. So although i'm not too worried its got me thinking about premature babies.

I just wondered if anyone has had a premature baby or know someone who has and how early they were. Also it would be nice to know the sort of care they needed in hospital and mostly, how long they were in hospital before they were allowed to take baby home?

Thank you!

Amy xxx

Replies

• Options
    hi feb baby im looking for advice before i phone my hospital im 30/2 weeks and this morning woke up with what i can only describe as period pain low down it was not coming and going it just stayed ther still have it now and constantly need to go for a wee getting worried help x x x
  • Options
    Oh bev6, that sounds a bit worrying. I don't really now what to advice as i worry about everything! Haha!!
    If that was happening to me then I would defiately phone the midwife just incase. Have you had any other symptoms at all?

Even if its nothing i would give them a quick call hun xxx
  • Options
    no other symptoms but i just dont feel right in myself . i will call them as im so worried its too early for her!!!! xx x
  • Options
    Let me know what they say. They may be able to reassure you straight away, but if not then you'll be glad you didn't leave it.
    I know what you mean about 'just not feeling right'.
    Good luck hun xxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Hi i thought i would reply to try and reassure I had an earkly baby at 36 weeks so not really premature but they still classed her as a prem. I did go into labour at 33 weeks I just felt really odd one day so midwive said come in just to be on safe side. Anyway I got there and I was in early labour. My hospital had no neonatel beds so i had to go to another hospital 100 miles away i think that why it made it more scary.

Anyway, they basically gave me steroid injections to ripen babies lungs and gave me lots of different drugs and it stopped my labour for the 3 weeks. I was kept in hospital for 4 days.

It was very scary at the time but i am very relieved as normally if i feel odd i just leave it but hubby told me just to ring hosp to beon safe side as he was going to be away for work for the weekend. They did say that where they stopped it early it helped as If I had left it all day i would have been in full blown labour and they wouldnt of been able to stop it.

The things the hospital can do nowadays is fantastic but my advice is even if you just feel odd always speak to midwive and dont worry about hassling them like i used to think.

My daughter is now a little chunky 1 year old and i amd due in jukly with number 3 and will need to take precautions with this one as they said that due to my babies wanting to come early this one may be the same.

I hope this helps for you xxx

• Options
    hi feb called midwife i have to go to hospital to be put on moniters so hubby on way home to take me i am so worried. let you know how i get on x x x
  • Options
    I'm glad you phoned them bev6. They'll look after you!
    Let us know how you get on.
    I'll be thinking of you xxx

Thank you for your reply madnbella+1. Although very scary i'm so glad you had a happy ending! Its really helpful to hear peoples stories like yours so thank you for posting it. Good luck for the rest of your pregnancy xxxxxx
  • Options
    Hi february baby
    I can understand what you are going through at the moment as it happened to me TWICE. My oldest son was born at 34 weeks and my youngest at 32 weeks ( although my waters went at 30 weeks)
    they are both vry lively boys now.
    i am now 25+4 weeks with my 3rd ( a girl) and my consultant is hoping to get me to at least 30 weeks, so everythings crossed.
    If your baby is early and needs to go to special care, you will be given a photo and the staff should explain everything to you. When you are ready, you will be taken to the unit and encouraged to help in his care.
    The Bliss web site has message boards where you can talk to other mums who have been or are going through the same thing. they are really amazing and you would find them really supportive.
    Take care hun and good luck x
    Maria
  • Options
    Hi Feb baby

I went into labour at 30 weeks and had all the drugs to stop it. I'm now 34 weeks and baby is still in there although i have tightenings all the time. some are painful and some just uncomfortable. I'm hoping to get at least another 2weeks before he comes. I had an upset tummy yesterday so i'm on tenderhooks to. I had an upset tummy 2days before my first was born!

My midwife told me not to worry to much. They tend to put them in special care until thy can hold their own temperature.

Good luck xxx
  • Options
    Hi february baby! My baby was born at 33+6 wks and had to stay in special care for 2 wks as she hadn't developed the sucking reflex therefore had to be tubefed via a nasal tube. She was 4lb 11oz born and thankfully no other problems. She was born prem as i'd started to bleed at 30 wks with tightenings all the time and was in hospital for a long time as they didn't know where the bleeding was coming from. Found out when i had her that it was placental abruption (my placenta was gradually coming away from my uterus) and when i had her the placenta came out with her!! When she was in special care you could visit whenever you wanted and help with the care, i.e change nappies, get her dressed, feed her, although they don't like you holding them for long so most of the time was spent me sitting there just staring at her in amazement.
    I would say whatever happens your baba will be well looked after but i'm hoping that your lo stays cosy in your tum for a few more wks yet!
    Best of luck
    Mel xx
  • Options
    Hi Amy

i was 32 + 6w when i went into labour on 21st november 2007. I woke up early that morning just not feeling right. I went to the toilet and had very slight bleeding and when i blew my nose my mucus plug came away. I went to my GP who said to go to the hosp and i was in early labour but had no pain. I was terrified and obviously didnt know what condition the baby would be in.

My labour came and went for 2 days, had 2 steroid injections to mature the babys lungs. Kenny was born on the 23rd at 33+1w and was perfect. There were lots of doctors around which was scary. He was wrapped in lots of blankets to keep him warm but a got a good cuddle before he went to the special care unit. He spent 3 days in an incubator to keep him warm, needed no oxygen as his lungs were fine but had a small tube in his nose to feed him as he was too little to suckle.

He was in hospital for 3 weeks and I spent all day every day with him and took very opportunity to breast feed him which needed lots of patience. He came home on Friday and is now 36 + 4w and gaining weight rapidly.

I never thought i was going to be able to take him home but one day he just turned a corner, was breastfeeding without top up feeds through his tube and was more alert and awake. The Unit have a ward for mothers and I stayed for 2 nights with him in the hospital where i looked after him at my bedside to establish 24 hour feeding which went very well and we were discharged home after that.

I hope my story helps you and good luck.

Denise
    xxx