Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

clary sage? whats the low down?

lol i was just curiuos to if clary sage is any good and if anyone used it to bring things on??? ive read its not to be used in pregnancy, but to ease pain in labour, and others say its good to bring things on???:\?

Replies

• I've read that you can start putting it in your bath after 40 weeks. Mix 5 drops with a little milk and then soak in the warm bath. The reason it can't be used in pregnancy is because it can stimulate uterine contractions. I'm planning to use it in labour too. If you put 10 drops on a flannel or tissue you can then inhale it instead of gas & air. It's supposed to be euphoric and is said to be natures gas & air. Google it for more info. XX
  • i havent heard of this!!! has anyone used it to help bring on labour?
  • Hi!
    I hope to have my baby at the Jubilee Birth Centre in Hull which is supposedly like a home-from-home environment and is midwifery-led. They are keen on Aromatherapy and have a page on it and the link is:

http://www.hey.nhs.uk/jbc/aromatherapy.asp

I've invested early and intend to give them a go!

[Modified by: FunkyRabbit on April 19, 2007 05:39 PM]
  • I used clary sage in my bath and eventually in oil straight onto my tummy in an effort to start labour but it didn't. LO is now 6 weeks old and house has only just stopped stinking of the stuff!! It does help to strengthen muscles in uterus so can shorten labour. Good luck to all those due x :lol:
  • Clary sage intensifies any narcotic you may of taken e.g if you're drunk you will feel very drunk. If you have gas and air in theory it will intensify the experinece. As said before it can stimulate uterine contractions. I trained in aromatherpay when i was preganant and was extremley cuatious to what came near me. It is supposed to be good in labour but it does have a very strong smell, basically if you don't like the smell it will be no good for you. I had my massage therapist set to come to the delivery room when I went into labour. i went into labour and had the baby before we could even call her. Point being be prepared but you might find that when you're there you won't give a hoot about what oils you've got in your bag.
  • got some clary sage, just wanted to say, i put a little on my wrist to see what it smelt like (yuk) and i feel a little funny now!! dont know if its that or just because im shattered, also had a cup of that horrible tea, im all flushed!!!
  • just to let you know i have tryed clary sage this week i saw a consaltant on tue last week and he said my cervix was completly closed and could not give me a sweep i have been using clary sage since thursday dont know if its helped or it was going to happen naturaly but today my mw told me my cervix is 2cm dilated!!!! yay she gave me a sweep and hopes i should start labour tonight as its all ready if not im booked in to be induced on wed!! hope thats of some help.
  • wow, good luck, and cheers xxx how far r u?
  • have used this a few times and nothing, one thing it does bring on though is a headache!!! lol
  • I might give this a go love, Where did you get it? xx
  • health shop in nuneaton, #7.00!!! when you due again? same as me?
  • oh it gave me a really bad headache last weekend but they say u like the smell once u r ready to go into labour xx
  • I get my oils from Ebay shop Aromatique Essential Perfume Oils and can vouch for them:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Aromatique-Essential-Perfume-Oils_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amewaQ3amesstQQtZkm

My clary sage cost only ??1.60 for 10mls plus cheap p&p
  • well funky monkey, i should have asked first!!!! i paid seven pounds!! lol typical, never mind!! nat, what can i say IM READY lol my bp gone up also so could have something to do with my headaches. may try a bath with it again in a weeks time!! lol get my moneys worth lol will pack it in my hosp bag then as its supposed to be helpful with labour!!
  • Sorry I have brain drain, I probably have mentioned that some time ago!! Too early for me to use Clary Sage yet as only 23 weeks but I am using Frankincense and Cammomile and have also got some Lavender in ready for the 32 week mark.
  • lavender at 32 weeks? whats that about then?
  • My aroma lady told me that clary sage if u breath it in can help with pain, lavender oil is good for burning in oil burner as it helps with stress n calms n, also good if u mix with almond oil n rub it into ur skin, can help with dryness etc. Holland and Barrett sell aroma oils ...Marie..xx
  • Opps, I've been using lavender since the second trimester! No wonder by baby won't come out.....to relaxed!