Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Does anyone have any tips to start labour off?

Hi, I still have 2 weeks to go, but am getting really impatient as i want the baby to be born while the kids are on their Easter holidays, I'm not due untill 2 days after they go back. (This will be my third!) Just wondered if anything besides the normal Sex, Walking, Hot curry etc had started anyones labour off.

Replies

• Start drinking raspberry leaf tea! it worked for me, Jack was two weeks early. eating lots of pineapple is apparently meant to help too. to be honest, i think it will happen when baby decides it's time to come out and meet the family! i hope it happens when your kids are on holidays! good luck hun, xx
  • Clary sage oil use it in baths two drops use with carrier oil and massage on to belly. i am 11 day to go and going for a sweep today hope this help
    cazmac10
  • hi lucy. iv been eatin alot of pineapple for about 2weeks now (iv had about 7 all together) and iv been getting signs that hes on his way but they've stopped again now. my partners mum told me yesturday that she had a whole bottle of caster oil when she was a week overdue and went into labour 2days later. she said its not plesant though as u get the runs really bad (sorry!) but getting the runs really bad is meant to help! i think im going to wait til im overdue to try this! if you have a car then get your partner to take you for a really bumpy drive somewhere! it might bounce the baby out!! good luck and let us know if anything works because i want to try it!!
    charlie & boy bump xxx
  • Hi Lucy, I totally sympathise with you as I was the same with my lo as my hubby is a teacher and my little boy was due at the end of December so I wanted him to be born on time or early so my hubby would be on his school hols!
    To be honest despite everyone saying I would def have him early as my bump dropped very low at around 35 weeks, including my midwife who told me to take it easy because she didn't want him arriving just yet, he was still 4 days late!

I tried everything, fresh pineapple, all the hot spicy food you can think of, bumpy car rides, long walks every day etc etc. I started taking rasberry leaf tablets from 37 weeks which I think helped to shorten the 2nd stage of labour (it was my first and only took 4 hours!) but it didn't do anything to bring labour on.

Ultimately the baby won't be here until they are ready, and despite me feeling huge and like I was going to give birth to a baby elephant my little boy only weighed 7lb 4oz so I was quite pleased he hadn't come weeks earlier.
    Personally I think the things people say worked for them haven't really it is just that was when baby was going to make an appearance anyway.

I really wouldn't recomend the castor oil either. I know some women have used it and it has worked for them but it can make you really ill and it really isn't a good way to be when you are in labour!

Think the best advice I can give is to relax as much as you can, have some nice walks to keep yourself mobile (I also found this helped me to sleep better at night) and remember that no-one has gone through a 9 month pregnancy and not given birth!

Good luck! xx
  • hi just keep active, don't use castor oil it can cause your baby serious complications, your baby can pass meconium inside you (this is poo) & if it gets on baby's lungs it can be seriously dangerous.
  • i had a week left and i ate lots of tinned pineapple when i started getting the odd twinge it really brings on the contractions and with in 2 days i had her also spicy food is good but not to much cuz it wil give u acid.
  • hi...i ate a whole over ripe pineapple on the friday night and started getting twinges from about 4am saturday, i then gave in to sex and was in strong labour by 1pm. i had my lo just before 8pm saturday night 10 days early!!! pineapple and sex definately worked for me!!! make sure the pineapple is over ripe though.
    can't believe all that happened a year ago on monday!!!
    good luck.
    xxx
  • hi just been reading the messages and it seams pineapple works image i not that kin on it but might give it ago as i want my lil boy to be here for my sister wedding as i am due on her wedding day :0 not good xx
  • pineapple worked for me too!!! i ate a whole pineapple the day i was due and went into labour that night!!! it really stung my tounge but give it a go!!
    i also was taking raspberry leaf from 36 weeks and truley believe thats why my labour lasted a whole hour and a half!!! lol.
    please please dont try castor oil tho!! the effects it gives you it also gives baby.... i know it works for some women but you would never forgive yourself if baby suffered just because you want to get him out earlier than he needs to be!!
    ive also heard something about blue and black coshh.... but please research before considering it as i know nothing about it!!
    good luck

krystle
    36weeks
  • how over ripe does the pineapple have to be??i bought one today but dont know how many days to leave it before its ripe enough to eat?x
  • not too sure to be honest! the one that i ate was bought that morning! it might just of been by chance that i went into labour, and nothing to do with the pineapple but like i said... it worked for me!!
    xxx
  • sorry to g/c but where do you buy raspberry leaf tables from?
  • holland & barrett sell them, they are about 7 or 8 pounds. xxx
  • Sorry to say it, but I tried everything imaginable: raspberry leaf tea, clary sage in the bath, pineapple, walking. My lo was 10 days overdue. But what actually did bring on contractions was sex lol x
  • Pineapple worked for me too! I ate two fresh ones and had it with cream to take the sting off.
  • sex worked for my second about 4 times lol it never sent me into full labor although it got me to 4cm dilated but then i stopped and its not even doing that this time just giving me braxton hicks im eating fresh pineapple it has to be fresh one because the chemicle that sets labour off is destroyed with canning it i really would not do the castor oil thing my friend had a horrendous labour because of it baby was fine but she wasnt so good
  • ive used cator oil with 2 of mine and my labours have been ok, tbh a baby will come when its ready and there all old wifes tales

• i used caster oil with my first and the after birth was real damaged and the midwife new she told me its so dangerouse i would never use it again im not on my 4th child just to let people no caster oli is not a good idea and all it did for me was give me the runs for three days x

• ive tried everything but sex because my partner doesn't find me attractive at the moment and nothing is working walking brings on some pain but not contractions image

• i took castor oil with my daughter i would not recommend its saafe to anyone pregnant ...i had bad diarea also tore extremely bad where all was too loosened ....another i didnt tink it wud happen agen so i then took it at 38 weeks wit my babyboy and he poohed in me and laid in it for nearly 2 weeks he and i had to stay in caster oil didnt even work but can cause damage if bab sits in maconium ...(poop) im due to have my third and am only trying natural remedies such as raspeberry tea ....pinapple etc ....x