Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Contractions or Braxton Hicks.

Also posted on pregancy.

hi girls.

I am currently 39+2

At 4am this morning I woke uo with what I thought were contractions.

Basically it was period type pains and tightening.

They became incresingly more painful.

Not so much that they took my breath away but definetly made me go "ouuuuch"

anyway I timed them from 4.30 to 6am and they were coming anywhere between every 5 minutes and 10 mintutes and lasting from 30 seconds to 1 minute 30.

They were still hapening at 6am but I was so tired i decided to go back to bed, had broken sleep till about 9am when I just gave up and got ready.

Now throughout the day I've had the odd contraction, painful. But no pattern.

Now to begin with I thought they were BH but in my experince these have not been painful!

Has anyone else experinced this??

xxx

Replies

• Hiya, Im 39 + 2 and when i woke up friday morning, my whole pelvis ached and when i got up to go to the bathroom walking was really uncomfortable, i also had like period pains that were quite strong for 5 minutes every 30 minutes. They sort of eased away but came back again in the evening. I woke up again today with a really achy pelvis and the lower part of my back feels like how i remember feeling when i was on my period. I'm not sure what is going on either, I have a feeling it might be like 'real' contractions but ones that come a few days before.. Have you found out anything about them yet? ..I really want it over and done with now.. and would love to know what my body is doing lol
    xxxx
  • ...i usually notice braxton hicks...but today i have been getting them all day, going to start timing them. just didnt know if it goes from having braxton hicks n leads into contractions. they arn't painful but definatly noticable, my back is all tense too. i know this prob isnt labour, just didnt know if it could lead into labour? x
  • glmils,

i reckon you are in the 'latent phase' stage of labour (thats what my midwife calls it) which isnt the actual labor but the bit before it, where you stay at hoime and try and ease the pain as much as possible like walking, massaging, etc. make sure you eat something too as you might be going to hosp soon!

have you rang your mw, what is she saying?
  • Hi I have been having these every 10-15 mins for the last 2 weeks now and so many times I have thought this is it! I have told the midwife and she said its just the uterus getting toned and ready. Sorry to not be of anymore help.
    xxxxxx
    40+7
  • Hi I have been having these every 10-15 mins for the last 2 weeks now and so many times I have thought this is it! I have told the midwife and she said its just the uterus getting toned and ready. Sorry to not be of anymore help.
    xxxxxx
    40+7
    xxxxxx
    40+7
    xxxxxx
    40+7
    xxxxxx
    40+7
    xxxxxx
    40+7
    xxxxxx
    40+7
    xxxxxx
    40+7
  • hi im 37 weeks this weekend and am experiencing the same thing...
    they became regular and were like real dodgy period type pains and they were getting more intense... however they wore off! gutted!....
    how long can this go on for ladies ????
    xx