Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Has anyone else delt with irritable uterus????

I was wondering if anyone would share there stories of irritable uterus with me. I have had this since I was 20 weeks pregnant..

Replies

• Options
    Hi. I had this throughout my second pregnancy.

I had irregular contractions from about 29 weeks and went into prem labour at 30 weeks but they stopped it. continued to have contractions for the next 8 weeks. the last 3 weeks they were every 10 mins and i was in slow labour. then had him at 38 weeks.

Its horrible cos your just so worried that it could kickstart labour! You've just gotta take it easy and not overdo it! xx
  • Options
    i had this with my 5th from about 20 weeks too. I was diagnosed with placenta previa at 32 weeks then had my baby by emerg c section at 35 weeks. She and I were fine. I had constant contractions and hardening of my bump that sometimes had me doubled up. I had to go on bedrest from 32 weeks.
    Just take it easy like mummyheather says and rest up...its worth it as my contractions stopped when i rested and drank enough water.
    d x
  • Options
    I have had this too. I was given steroids at 27 weeks incase of prem labour. It is very hard todeal with, as I am always wondering if i am going into labour. I am now nearly 36 weeks.
  • Options
    i am currently dealing with this. apprently my irratable uterus is due to a uti so am on anti biotics to try to cure it and therefore slow labour down, it doesn't seem to making much difference so far as still having reguar contractions, back ache,back discharge, period pains etc. i hate the fact we are meant to just ride it out ! i still offically have 4 weeks left!
  • Options
    I had this from 28 weeks

Went into labour at 32 weeks had steroids then spent 2 weeks in hospital on bed rest, then went in and out of labour for the next 2 weeks and she was born at 36 weeks!!

Scary as i was always thinking god what if the next contraction starts me off properly image xxx
  • Options
    I've had this from around 24 weeks. I thought it was Braxton Hicks, so didn't mention it to anyone, but then realised that the contractions were lasting way too long for it to be BH. One day, when I was 28 weeks, the contractions were quite painful, and accompanied by back pain to they admitted me to hospital for monitoring.

The contractions were coming strong and regular, but there was no change to my cervix, so I wasn't in labour. They kept me in overnight for observation, and also gave me steroid injections to help babys lungs develop in case he decided to arrive early. They warned me that with an IU it's very common for it to result in pre term labour.

I've been utterly plagued since with these horrendous contractions that tighten up my entire stomach, from just below my breasts all the way down to my pelvis. It goes absolutely rock hard, for hours at a time, making it difficult to breathe, or get into a comfortable position.

Has anyone else who has this also experienced tenderness in their stomach? My stomach feels "bruised" and neither I nor my husband can touch it. I also can't sleep because it's so tender that even lying in bed hurts and if I fall asleep then move the pain wakes me up. Is this just because the skin of my tummy has been stretched so much with baby and these contractions? I've still got 8 weeks to go all being well, and the thought of having this amount of discomfort for another 2 months is enough to make me want to cry! :roll:

I'd love to hear from anyone who's been through the same.

• Options
    I have been getting regular tightenings since 22 weeks, i am now 32 with my first baby. I have been to hospital once as i was up all night with these tightenings which were causing me period type pains. I got checked out and the doctor said i was fine. This has continued into my pregnancy, i havent been to the hospital since as the doctor told me it was normal to get up to 20 per day and just gave me magnesium to take??

Sometimes i get up to 10-12 just in the morning coming every 2 minutes, they are becoming stronger and more uncomfortable the longer the pregnancy goes on and i feel like i cant breathe properly sometimes but doctor is still telling me this is normal.

Could this be an irritable uterus or is it just BH? I'm so confused and the doctor is making me feel like a fuss pot, but i think i have been pretty laid back about it considering... i am just worried about going into pre-term labour.
  • Options
    I am currently 39 +6 with my second baby and I went in to be monitored yesterday as for two days i have had regular contraction type pains almost like period pains. I was monitored for fetal movement and when checked not in active labour they did a urine test and said that it looked like i may have a UTI but having seen my midwife the day before the urine sample was all clear. I have been having regular pains lasting from 20 minutes and gradually lessening to 10 minutes so im a bit confused as to whether it is slow labour as have no common symptom for a UTI
  • Options
    My pregnancies with my first two boys were pleasantly and nausiatingly boring. No problems, easy, straight forward, natural births. Enter my third boy and hello! A pregnancy so scary and stressful it made up for all the calmness of the others!   I noticed at around 10 weeks I was having the kind of contractions that aren't painful but take your breath away - now I didn't even think this was possible since the uterus isn't even over the pubic bone yet at this point but I instinctively knew this feeling, my head prevailed and convinced me it must be something else so I put it to the back of my mind. It came and went over the weeks.  Come 27 weeks and I had been running around like a mad thing cleaning grout, oven, bathrooms and cutting back every bush or tree that I set my sights on. Little did I know, I was showing the signs I now know was nesting. I finally sat down and felt that sensation again, then again, then again, so I started timing them. When I realised they were coming every three minutes and lasting 30 seconds I freaked out and had my mum rush me to the hospital. When i got there I was put in a birthing room where they got much more intense. I end up having the steroid shot, the anti-biotics in case bubby was born and nifedipine to calm my contractions (and obviously to also to give me a headache at such a stressful time). Long story short I was in hospital for 24 hours and told to go home for bed rest because I had this mysterious thing called an irritable uterus and no one could tell me what it was all about. I went back to L&D twice after for more of that lovely migrane inducing drug. Resting, laying on my side and drinking water seemed to ease them off, but I couldn't even vacume a room without them kicking off again so I tried to rest as much as possible, that wasn't hard for me as my youngest boy was 5 at the time and could get his own water and sandwich! The last (38th) week of my pregnancy I was excited by false pretenses every day! I'd have contractions, I'd run around preparing to go to hospital, go shopping to make sure everyone had enough food cooked to last them through a nuclear winter, cleaned out my car, stayed up all night writing down the minutes and durations, then... gone... like a fart in the wind. The last night I was having contractions it was about 6.30pm and I thought "Nope, you're not suckering me again you cheeky monkey, I'm going to bed." I remember getting woken up every now and then by the contractions and at about 11.30pm I needed to go to the toilet. I sat down then "GUSH!" I yelled out to hubby because based on past experience when my waters break that baby starts making an entrance. But when I looked down I was horrified to see it wasn't amniotic fluid. It was a clot the size of an orange and heaps of blood. We got to the hospital and I was told I was having a mild placental abrubtion, baby was doing fine and I was 3cm dilated, the contractions got sooo much worse but at 3am I was still 3cm dilated. The midwife broke my waters and at 5.24am my beautiful bundle of joy was in my arms! Everything went well. My uterus didn't contract down as fast as the home visit midwives would have liked and I was told to call an ambulance if I began to haemorhage but nothing like that ever happened. So at the end I'm left wondering, was there a clot sitting behind the placenta the entire time causing this problem? Was it that I went too hard on mummy duties eary on in the pregnancy? And I must admit, I did go REAL hard. Was I deficient in minerals or vitamins? Carbs were my only friend early in the pregnancy - even lettuce tasted like poison. It's hard to say as it is still a mystery.
  • Options

I have no idea if anyone is reading this or how I will be able to follow the posts, but am going to try and describe what I am feeling. I do need support.

I am 25 weeks with twins. My 3rd pregnancy. I've had great pregnancies so far, and started getting those BH around 11 weeks. It felt more crampy than regular at that time, so I went in to the doc for my first appt and everything seemed fine. I am seeing a GP - not my regular doc since I recently moved. My regular doc was so cautious and up on everything and took note of any concerns. Everything seems to always be okay with this doc, which is fine, however concerning when i have concerns and I am usually pretty low key about this. I just figure, our body is made to do this, right?

Anyway, I am a fitness instructor, and when I overdo it, I do get quite the tightenings, for days on end. They don't come and go. When they come, they come and stay. I do have a ton of pressure, which can be expected. I don't know if any of you have heard the term 'hamburger crotch' but they I have heard it for those of us who get so swollen down there from all the pressure. Yeah - lots of fun.

Anyway, I think I have irritable uterus, though have never been diagnosed. My doc is so low key about all my tightenings - but I feel if I was with my old doc, she would be monitoring it more. Anyway, I had INTENSE tightening for about 24 hours with low back pain. I think it was a bit of the flu, but not too sure. Today my back pain is gone, but I still have the tightening, just not as bad. I did have a few cramps this morning. I had called the nurses yesterday and they thought I sounded fine, but said I could go to the maternity ward for monitoring if I thought I needed to. Very different care than I am used to with my old Doc. I am thinking I will go to the maternity ward today, but unsure if that is just a waste of time. I did just have an ultrasound, and is there any more that the monitoring equipment would detect than an ultrasound? I don't want to be over cautious but I also feel the care I am recieving for a potential 'high risk' pregnancy isn't very well. Any advice?

I am not with an OB yet b/c there is such a backlog here that I can't get into one till next month. In the meantime I am with my GP who is super nice, though I can definately see the expertise level different from my previous doc who was a GP specializing in obstetrics...

• Options
    Hi twinniemum its been so many years so I have no idea if you will pick this up, but your post is literally the only one I can find that comes close to what I'm experiencing so I'm wondering if you do get this it would be great to ask if you ever got to the bottom of the constant tense tightening that came when you over done it. Thanks hoping to hear back!