Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

rasberryleaf tea

hi every1 i was jus wonderin wen can u start takin rasberryleaf tea and wot does it actually do? its not like that castor oil is it? ive got 5 weeks left. any advice wud be great xxxxxxxxxxxx

Replies

• hi you can start taking it from 32 weeks, any earlier than that would be dangerous as it stimulates your uterus. it is supposed to strengthen your uterus, giving you stronger more efficient contractions. some people say it makes you go into labour earlier but i dont agree. i took the tablets with my first and she was 10 days late but i had a really good smooth labour. i am hoping for the same this time and have been taking the tea this time.

i think you might as well try it and if it doesnt work it was worth a try x

(oh and the tea doesnt taste the best so i add a little sugar!)

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;19;29/st/20080523/dt/5/k/1ec5/preg.png

• Hi I agree with lauragcam that it is difficult to tell if it works or not. I took tablets with all 3 of mine and they were 14 days then 11 days then 4 days late but I still think it is worth a try. I think anything is worth a go! You can get the tablets from Holland and Barrett but just make sure you read the instructions as there are 2 different strengths so depending on which ones you get will depend on how many you take. I would start as soon as poss if I were you xx
  • Hi,

I took raspberry leaf tablets from about wk 35 and my lo was born 12 days early in record time. She was my first baby and my labour was extremely short only about 1 1/2 hours, got to hospital at 4.40am and she was born at 5.12am. Very strong, productive contractions and I'm sure it was due to the tablets. I think they also help your uterus to contract back to normal after birth.

Good luck - always worth a try!

Rachael
  • Hiya I had raspberry leaf from about 33-34 weeks drinking a lot of it and my baby was 2 weeks overdue - had to be booked in for an induction in the end and when I finally got there my labour was progressing so slowly I ended up having an emCS!
    I'm sure everybody is different, though. I don't see what harm it can do, it tastes OK, but personally I don't think it makes a great deal of difference.