Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

how far apart can real contractions start?

hi.. i 'think' i just felt my first real contraction!!... its def. differenet, more intense and paing going from back to front!!.. im sure it was !!!

can anyone tell me how far appart they can actually start at?... ive not had one since.. and that was ten minutes ago?.. could it be a one off??.....

Replies

• The contractions usually build up. In really early labour they can be quite far apart, and sometimes quite random. They do build up and get closer. I suggest you sit tight and see if it happens again. You'll know when it is happening. Goodluck!!!
  • thanks hannah...
    how far apart can they start though do you think?....
    ive kept note... so excited.. im wondering if this may be the start...???...

is it normal that the baby starts getting very active?.. mines going mad right now...
    do you think its anything to worry about?
  • the first ones can be anything from 20 mins to 30mins apart, lasting 10 seconds more or less. i think i read somewhere that labour isnt established until you get 10 contractions in an hour, not 100% sure on that one so dont quote me!! i had the exact pains for about 5 hours coming every 20mins last week, and unfortunatly im still here with 2 days to go! some babies can get active before birth but i think its more commen for the movements so slow down. best thing you can do is to relax, if this is the start of it you will need all the energy you can get!!
    good luck!! xxx
  • I had a very strong pain the other night whilst in the kitchen, i thought it was a strong braxton hicks. When i was at the hospital being monitored cos my baby wasnt moving about i had one the same and they told me it was a real contraction because it showed up on the machine. I went home and had nothing since, then today ive had about 4 of the same pains about 10 mins each apart then they stopped. So i dunno if real ones can stop and start and be a long way apart, it can be gutting to have a strong pain then nothing but keep walking around, thats what i was told to do!! but they have to be coming 3-6 mins apart and last 30 secs each for my hospital to let me go in. Good luck!!
  • I had a very strong pain the other night whilst in the kitchen, i thought it was a strong braxton hicks. When i was at the hospital being monitored cos my baby wasnt moving about i had one the same and they told me it was a real contraction because it showed up on the machine. I went home and had nothing since, then today ive had about 4 of the same pains about 10 mins each apart then they stopped. So i dunno if real ones can stop and start and be a long way apart, it can be gutting to have a strong pain then nothing but keep walking around, thats what i was told to do!! but they have to be coming 3-6 mins apart and last 30 secs each for my hospital to let me go in. Good luck!!