Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Recovering from C-Section

Hello
To those who had a c-section, how long did it take you to recover? Did the numbness around the wound take a long time to disappear? How long did your stitches last? When did you start driving again? What are you experiencing as a direct affect of the c-section?
Thanks
Trace
xx

[Modified by: Trackieann on 07 November 2007 14:09:06 ]

Replies

• hi tracey

i had emergency section with michael 02/02/06 must admit i as naughty i drove away from hospital without mw seeing me we moved house 2wks after he was born and i burst bit of wound open so had infection but antibiotics cleared it up quick other than that i was quick on my feet im just to stubborn wound was very sweaty and smelly for weeks but they say it is a very sweaty area i have just got my date for this baby im going to section again on 28th nov so hoping im quick to recover again this time as it is so near xmas if you are in pain hun see doct

sorry coulnt be much help tracey x
  • Hi! I had an emergency section last Oct 6. I had horrible pains constipation, sharp pains around stitches, terrible heartburn for the first week and a half. I began taking ranitidine for the heartburn which helped and am still taking on occasion till this day. I got discharged home 5 days after my section and was in pain for about 3 weeks. The pain was sharp around the stitches, and internally around my belly area. I also had pain when peeing. I started driving soon after about 2 weeks, but had troubles getting out of the car. Now, happy to say, all my pain is gone and I can take little Chloe out without difficulty. I do still have some light spotting althought i hear that can continue till 6 weeks. Hope this helps!
  • Hi there, I've just had my third c section 1 week ago on 2nd Nov.

Frist was a nightmare and was in pain for about six weeks and couldnt even think anout driving for about 8weeks. Had severe constipation but that was prob due to painkillers and iron tablets.

2nd section was similar but pain only lastet about 3 weeks and started driving about 4 weeks.

This time - 1 week on I feel good. My belly and stitched area feel numb and tender but I am very mobile compared to the last 2. Unfortunately I mistook the limited pain and good mobility for meaning that I am fine and have been doing loads of house work etc. Got a row of mw yesterday when she discovered I've burst my wound!! (I got staples with all 3 and they were removed on day 5). Been told to slow down - not easy with 3 kids and a hubby who went back to work when lo 5 days old!!!! Desperate to get driving again but checked with insurance and they wont cover me until atleast 4 wks and must have GP approval. - You should check with your insurance as all are different.

I still had a bit of numbness in the area even after first and as far as I am aware this is very common due to slight nerve damage. At the moment I am able to wee and poo fine but sometimes get a bit painful tummy after it.

Just take your time and take care.
    xxx
  • Hmmm, thanks for your replies ladies, that really helps. Generally I am feeling absolutely tip top! I too mistook this for meaning I WAS tip top and done far too much at first, hurt my stitches and was in quite a bit of pain but now 17 days in I feel almost like normal.
    I have a lot of numbness around the area which the last midwife said will take months to disappear. I am going to the loo ok, bit of pain when peeing due to the catheter.
    I need to check my insurance for the car as it's a real pain in the bum not driving, (OH is working abroad for 11 days so I can only go places I can walk to. Boooo!)
    I am suffering epidural side effects and also am having random bleeding but I am not sure what's normal as I expected it not to be fresh blood but it is. Will mention this to HV on Tues.
    Thanks for your help.
    Trace
    xx
  • Hi Trace. I had section 22 days ago and I feel fantastic, I didn't suffer with any pain and I only had slight discomfort. I too am a bit stubbon like patdow said she was and wouldn't always let others do things for me. Although I haven't done any damage to the wound. I had a running stitch which came out at 5 days. I am numb about an inch above scar and if I laugh hard, cough or sneeze it is uncomfortable inside beneath the scar. I too had pain/discomfort when peeing whether it is due to the bladder contracting and it pushes on the uterus, as it's inside wear they would have cut me what is painful on peeing. Although that has eased now. I didn't have a problem with my bowels either, by day 3 I was going again. The only thing I am suffering with and Im not sure why or what is causing is is that my lower belly (under belly button, but well above scar) is very sensitive to the touch. It feels like someone has pulled a plaster off and grazed my tummy, it's where I suddenly got alot of stretch marks at 36weeks so not sure if it's them or anything to do with the sec? I'm hoping to drive next friday as will be 4 weeks then. Also Im still bleeding on and off too, hv said can last upto 6weeks. So not too concerned. Other than that I feel great and did straight away and as I had a section due to SPD feel great in that respect too and all the SPD pain has gone.
    Gem.xx
  • Gem - thats wierd - I've got pain right below my belly button too and deffy dont remember this from the other to sections. It's sre to touch - almost like a sore muscle and it's kind of discoloured yellow so I'm assuming its bruising due to the clamps they use to pull/hold your tummy open (sorry if tmi!).

I'm on day 10 and managed my first solo pram walk today to pick Kayla up from nursery. Its such a beautiful day here today - frosty but clear blue skies and sunny and it was fab. I'm exhausted now as it's a mile all in but happy that I've done it and plan to build up from here on.

Hope you are all well.
  • I agree with above, I have been hearing stories too. Luckily my insurance said get the ok from a GP, and i got one to ring me yesterday and all he said was ' do you feel ok to drive and can you stop the car ok' so when I said yes he put a note on my file to say he'd ok'd it! Hurrah!
  • I drove 4 weeks after my section, I checked with the company insurers (I have company car) and they said that as long as it was ok with either the midwife or the doctor then it was ok with them. I was so relieved to be able to drive as I hadn't driven for 2 weeks before Poppy was born then the week that I was in hospital, so 7 weeks in total!! I was going round the bend being housebound unless someone would give me a lift!
  • Hi Trace
    I have had 2 c-sections now and I must admit the first was easier than the second. This is due to the fact that the first hospital sent me home with really strong painkillers and the second said paracetamol was enough - they said if it was painful then it was a sign that I was doing too much. I suppose that is one way to stop you doing too much!! My scar healed up pretty quickly 4 weeks roughly. I waited 6 weeks before driving but the insurance company said if I could manage an emergency stop, they would be happy for me to drive earlier than that. No major problems as a result although I absolutely hate my tummy as I have a sort of ledge thing going on - should have done more exercisers!!
    The scar is pale pink now 15 months after but the original one had faded to a pale white line (2 years after) The good thing is that the first scar is embedded in the second so it is still just one line about 6 inches across.
    Margaret
    :x
  • Hiya again
    the numbness around my tummy seems to be easing, but with that I am in a lot of pain now where I wasn't before! It feels like all my tummy muscles are bruised and are really achey. Is this normal? Should I worry about it?
  • Hi, I had an emergency section 6 months ago. The area above it is still numb but the area below it is now begining to wear off. It feels really bruised if I touch it and my scar is really sore aswell. I spoke to my doctor last Thursday and he said it is normal to get these feelings. He said as long as the scar hasn't opened up there is nothing to worry about.
  • Hi, I had an emergency section 3 weeks ago and i'm still struggling to get around. Luckily i've got alot of support to help me with my baby but its still quite depressing because i feel like i can't make the most of my baby.

Its refreshing to hear that some of you ladies have healed so quickly, i really can't wait to be back to normal. I'm usually always rushing around but at the moment i'm walking at a snails pace which is really frustrating.