Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

epidrual

I had an epidural during my labour and as i'd been in early labour all day before anything got really going it was nice to have a break from the pain, i had a mobile epidural so i could walk-although not without help still. i remember sitting in hospital looking at the monitor saying "ooh look, i'm having a really strong contraction!" i was able to get some sleep and only felt weak pain as the time came for it to be topped up. I was also still allowed home the next day.
However, i was restricted to how i could move about as i had to be monitored more closely, i think my labour was longer as a result and my babys heart rate began dropping too. I had to have help using the toilet and i wasnt allowed to give birth in a more upright position as i'd wanted. I think by having the epidural i lost my say in how i wanted my labour to go. I even had to ask my partner when topush as i couldnt feel myself, which felt unnatural. i think next time i would rather try other forms of pain releif where i'm more in control, although if it was bad i would have one again but more as a last resort. That was just my experiance, i think you need to weigh up the pro's and cons x

Replies

• Options
    i had one and it was fantastic i will be having one again with this baby if i need to xx
  • Options
    It is true that sometimes they are not totally effective for all but in my case, it did work and was a very welcome relief at the time as my baby was lying back2back and on a nerve! My labour was 17hrs in total which as things go, wasn't tooooooo bad as this was my 1st baby too! All my others have been with gas and air - lovely stuff (well, I think so anyway hehe)!
  • Options
    I had an epidural and there were some complications. My bloodpressure crashed twice, which meant they changed the dosage for the second lot and it didn't work properly.
    However, when it was working it was fab. I had serious regular contractions and couldn't feel a thing! And following on from mummyx5, the gas and air was lovely stuff while it worked too, but it wasn't effective for very long with me!
  • Options
    hi, I had an epidural with my first and it didn't work down one side - it felt like I had a trapped nerve in my leg. But having said that I would try it again if I was in labour a long time. 2nd time round I had gas and air and tens - was too late for anything else. Baby came in 2 and 1/2 hours. This time around I'm hoping to have gas/air and tens again but maybe an epidural if long. Wouldn't have pethidine as can make you sick/baby bit drowsy.

all the best whatever you decide - just play it by ear on the day as often birth plans don't get sticked too and can change. chelle x

http://bd.lilypie.com/AeQSp1/.png

• Options
    I had a 47 hour labour with my daughter and used gas and air and a birthing ball for 25 hours and then had an epidural and it was great! I slept, read magazines and they just let it wear off enough for me to push. The only thing was it was a shock when it wore off because I went from mild (well, apparently they were mild but they bloody hurt) contractions and 4cm dialted to really intense, close together ones.
    xxx
  • Options
    I had a long labour ending in emergency caesarean and I had an epidural. It was brilliant! I could still feel the contractions but they were nowhere near as painful as without. I even got some sleep. Looking back I could have done it on just gas & air but I had had no sleep for 2 nights and it takes concentration. x
  • Options
    I had a 56 hour labour starting on the sunday before Christmas and ending Boxing Day (Yes, 56 hrs, from water's breaking to baby being born and missed getting Lo home for Christmas as the prats on ward 24 failed to spot that I had an incomplete rupture of the membrane!) and she was lying back to back. I had been adamant that I didn't want an epidural. I started with my tens, then pethidine, then gas and air, another shot of pethidine with gas and air and, still I felt like someone was removing my spine with a blunt spoon! The midwife suggested an epidural, I cried! She explained what might happen if I didn't, I agreed. The anaesthetist put in the line and anaesthetic.... I asked him to marry me!!! Lol
    The relief was immense and, because the pain was relieved, I could concentrate on pushing more effectively. I'm not saying everyone should have one, or that it is right for every labour but, it worked for me!
  • Options
    i loved my epidural, you can still feel everything just not the pain, its amazing, i had one with my 1st and 3rd babies. i wasn't allowed one with my second because my labour progressed too quickly. so i recommend if you do want one tell them as soon as you go into labour so they can arrange it.

my 3rd i had already had gas and air, and pethidine and these didn't touch the pain so i requested an epidural, the only thing was it slowed down my contractions, and resulted in baby getting distressed, i had to have emergency section in end (but i was only 35 weeks, so their concern was a prem baby not being able to cope).

talk it through with your midwife and see what she recomends
  • Options
    I had an epidural and it was amazing! I fell asleep straight after it for about 2 hours and when I woke back up I was 9 and a half cm dialated! xx