Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How Long can the OH stay with you?

Hi ya. Just wondering how long the hospitals allow the partener to stay with you after the baby is born.

I'm really nervous about being in hospital on my own, so want my husband with me for as long as possible, but do the hospitals chuck them out after a certain amount of time... especially at night/early morning?

Thanks Gill

Replies

• hi, i had my lo at 3.30am and my partner stayed with me until 10.00pm when he was aked to leave. They told him he could come back in at 9.00am in the morning
  • I don't plan to stay in any longer than is required.
    Fingers crossed I don't get put onto the labour ward, so I can be with husband for as long as possible.
  • If you are worried you should enquire about paying for a private room, I don't live in the UK anymore but when a friend of mine had a baby she asked about having her oh with her for longer and they gave her the option of paying about ??20 a night for her oh to stay with her. She got her own room with on suite bathroom so I think if I was still in the UK I would definately be asking for this!!

Over in Norway where I live the visiting times don't apply to your husband he can stay with you the whole time xx
  • Hi the hospitali had my baby in oh visiting hours were from 10am to 9pm but if you were having problems the staff would let them stay longer,not sure about the paying for a private room,the private rooms are usually for mums who are ill or have infections,or if the wards are full but each hospital might be different, also i found the time that he wasn't there quite nice cos i could spend time with lo by myself as you find that with everyone visiting you don't get much time with lo xoxo
  • Hi, My oh stayed with me from the minute i was admitted till 40mins after Joshua was born! I went into hospital to the delivery room at 7am and was 4cm dilated and he after the birth Joshua had to go to intensive care and I had to go to theatre so oh went with lo and when i came back from theatre he popped onto the transitional ward to say goodbye abd that was 930pm...i was so tired! He then came back 10am next day. I didnt even think about him not being there the whole time- i wouldnt have let them send him home I couldnt have pushed a 9lb 5oz baby out without oh he was AMAZING!!! xxx
  • My son was born at 7.21pm and they made my oh leave by 10pm and he could return at 9am! I asked about paying for a private room but the same rules apply, because they don't want other women feeling uncomfortable.
    It may be different in your area

Hope this helps
  • What about if you are labouring outside visiting hours (eg 3am) and then you give birth. Will hubby have to leave soon after as not visiting hours? And will mom be able to wait outside (other birth partner) with my dad? WOrried as I know hospital is locked after 10pm until 6am!!!
  • Hi just married i think you need to ring your hospital to find out what they do as each hospital has different rules,Durham were i had my lo only the birth partner was allowed onto the ward with you,My mum came down as well even though we told her she wouldn't be able to come in,she had to stay in the restaurant till visiting my midwife said it was because of security & if each woman had 1 birth partner then they knew how many people were ment to be around i know they did say that if i went into labour & had baby had 3 in the morning hubby would have togo till visiting b just so mum can catch up on sleep,like i say think its best to ring hospital cos everywhere is different xo
  • justmarried - I got told that if you get transferred to the ward after the baby is born and its outside of visiting hours then hubby has to leave. Apparently if the delivery room is not needed then you can stay in there but if they need the room then they'll make him go - even if you've stayed for 5 of the 6 hours they want you to stay - they'll still make you go to the ward for the rest of the night and send hubby away till 9am the next day when visiting starts!

If that happened to me (assuming homebirth doesn't go to plan!) I would be highly unimpressed!
  • Most hospitals have similar guidelines. Ours OH can stay 10am - 9pm but must leave from 12.30-2pm as this is a rest period for mums/babies and allows mums to get their lunch in peace. All other family members were only allowed in during visiting times (including our 2 other kids) at 2.30-4pm and 7-8pm. If you have baby outwith 10am-9pm and are moved to ward then OH much leave as soon as possible when you are settled. This is more for the respect of the other mums and babies on the ward rather than out of badness! Remember that you could be sharing a ward with 3/4 other mums babies and it can be very noisy at the best of times never mind with lots of comings and goings in the middle of the night. Best to check with your hospital what their rules are. Hope you get the answers you are looking for.
    xxx
  • i was admitted at 1 am and as i went straight to delivery my oh could stay all night with me, i finally had little one at 7pm and my oh could stay until they moved me to the ward around 10.30pm. he was back at 9am next morning.

it was quite scary to be left alone with new born baby as i was so tired, been up 24hrs, had nothing to eat as i wasn't aloud after epidural.(apart from 1 piece of burnt toast they brought me after birth)

you could pay for private room at my hospital too (st james leeds) but they didn't say if visiting hours were any different but as doors lock over night i wouldn't have thought so.

i guess it all depends on what time you give birth and how desperate they are for rooms on delivery