Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Told baby is big - could they be wrong?

Hi there

I just wondered how many mums have been told at antenatal clinic that their baby is big only to go on to have a normal sized baby? I had an antenatal appointment this morning and it was taken by a student midwife. When palpating my bump she said has anyone queried the weight of baby before (they haven't). I thought she was going to say it seemed small as I don't have a very big bump, but she said no it's big! This has worried me a little - could she be wrong??

Serena - DUE TODAY!! xxxx

http://bd.lilypie.com/RFV5p1/.png

[Modified by: SWillo on 22 July 2008 13:32:56 ]

Replies

• My friend was told she was having a big baby,around 8lbs.She ended up having a 5lbs 12ozs baby!!
    They are not always right!!
  • Well with my 1st i was measuring 43cm at 35 weeks and they couldnt feel how big she was as she was back to back, so went for a scan and they said that she had a long body but a very small head, anyway she popped out she was tiny she was 47cm long head was inproportion with her body and weighed 6lb .1 oz and my 2nd i was measuring 42cm at 38 weeks and my mw said bump was all baby and to expect a 10lb baby anyway went to the hostpital to be induced but i had a sweep and went in to labour that night and he was 7lb .2 oz but im due in 44days and my bump dont look that big but im already measuring big at 28 weeks i was 33cm so will have to see next week when i going to see the mw
  • I wouldn't worry too much, there's only so much they can tell by feeling your baby and bump. I know people who were told they would have big babies (9 -10lb) and in fact had smaller babies. On the other hand I was told to expect a 6 - 7lb baby with my first when in fact she weighed in at 8lb 5oz when she was born 2 weeks earlier than my due date.
  • hi. i wouldn't worry too much about it. with my 4th baby i had to have weekly scans towards the end and they measured baby to be at 8lbs plus i went in to labour a few days later and had a 6lb 12oz baby girl. so even scans aren't always accurate.
    xxxxxx
  • They did get it right for me, midwife I saw at 40 weeks said baby would be big, around 8lb 14 and he was 9lb 1 so that was really close. Then again I do know of times they have been wrong, and I had a huge bump so I knew it would be a big baby anyway - trust your instincts! x
  • They did get it right for me, midwife I saw at 40 weeks said baby would be big, around 8lb 14 and he was 9lb 1 so that was really close. Then again I do know of times they have been wrong, and I had a huge bump so I knew it would be a big baby anyway - trust your instincts! x
  • Hi hun, they all told me i was having a HUGE baby and it would be in around the 9-10 lb mark and sent me for sizing scans etc and she came out a very small 5lb 13ozs! they dont know everything, they said at the sizing scan that she was 5lbx 12ozs at 34 weeks and there is no way that could have been right. dont worry, size dosnt really matter anyway, its the size of their heads that makes for an easy or hard delivery. x
  • they said mine where going to be big, they just though they were going to be a lot bigger than they were, justin they thought was going to be at least 10lb but he was 8lb 14oz maya they though about 11lb and she was 9lb 13oz.
    But the bigger the baby the easier the labour as the gravity dose most of the work x
  • Thanks everyone. It seems they're wrong quite a lot then! The thing that's really confused me, and I didn't notice it until I was reading my notes just now, is that my fundal height only measured 36cm this morning and I'm 40 weeks now! I've always measured a couple of cm's less than the number of weeks so that just doesn't make sense, does it? If they thought baby was big surely I would measure big? Anyway hopefully I will know for certain soon! Come on baby!!! xxxx

http://bd.lilypie.com/RFV5p1/.png

• they can defenatly get it wrong i was told a normal size about 6lb 7 he came 8lb 6oz my best friend was told at 33 weeks baby was about 10lb!!! she came 9lb 2 my other friend was told small baby and she had a growth scan to check that even said small baby he came 7lb 13oz!!! i would just wait and see hope it comes soon hun X
  • Fundal height IS very inaccurate this far on. I always measured less than the no. of weeks I was (I measured 39cm at 41 weeks I think) but still had a big baby and a HUGE bump! I asked midwife and she said that measuring fundal height in cm / vs / the number of weeks you are, to determine size of LO, only works for when you are in 2nd and early 3rd trimester...by about 35 weeks, its more inaccurate...As I said I always measured less but MW still knew I'd have a big baby. Shes a good midwife though...some others do get it wrong. I met a girl in the supermarket (its amazing who you get chatting to when you have a baby lol!) who'd had a 10lb 1 little girl, and shed been told she would be about 8-9lb .... Oh yeh and my mum was told she was having a big baby and my sister was 7lb 12! x
  • They told me my baby was small around 6lb but she was born 7lb 11oz. I had a small bump and couldn't belive Lily was the size she was. They also told me my baby was in a good position - but she was back to back !

xxx
  • I had a bit of a scare too when a silly sonographer told me at the 20 week scan that I was having a whopper who was 3 weeks ahead of what he should have been weightwise! The midwife was really annoyed at her though for saying that! She told me there is no real way for midwives or regular scans to foretell the baby's weight (and in anycase I had a 4D scan at 28 weeks which confirmed this baby is only 4% bigger than average - something like 100 grammes bigger than an average baby...nothing to worry about!)
    The midwife who reassured me said it was crazy for anyone to say they could predict the weight of the baby by just checking your bump! Afterall, it could mostly be fluid!
    I was repeatedly told I was small for my dates with my other two babies and they weighed 7 pounds and 8pound 4 respectively....not that bad for undersized babies!!!
    I wouldn't worry about what the midwife said (particularly if she was a student...they often like to find problems where there are not any! The last one who checked me told me I had record high sugar levels in my urine but when her mentor checked she told the sTudent had been looking at the wrong square on the dip-stick!) Good luck with B'day! Love, Lola XXX