Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

risks of homebirth

Had my 4 th baby at home due to very fast labour, really enjoyed it and was seriosly considering doing it again but was told as im high risk (due to first baby being an emergency c-section) although all my other children were born normally i had to go to a large hospital as was considered safer option but as i have had a homebirth id really prefer that as i found the hospital i had my other children in was overworked and i didnt get great care. The worry i have is because my last child was born so fast that there is a chance of haemmoraging due to your body working overtime, and i just wondered if anyone else was, or had been in a similar situation?

Replies

• Hi

I am in a similar situation. I want to have a homebirth with my second baby but have been told no as I am high risk due to having hypertension last time and a third degree tear. They cannot technically say no. I also had quite a quick birth 1 hour 40 mins and was treated badly in hospital (long story) which is why I would like a homebirth.

Have a look on the homebirth.org.uk website and on the AIMs website. I also spoke to my local NCT and they have put me in touch with local women who successfully organised a homebirth (one who was also considered high risk) and a local midwife who supports homebirth.

I have also been given details of local homebirth groups that are run by independent midwives, doulas and women who have had homebirths. I am attending one in September and looking forward to receiving some information from professionals who are seperate from the NHS about my situation.

I was advised to try to find NICE guidelines on having a homebirth after third degree tears and with hypertension but there wasn't any - there maybe for your situation though. I was told research, research, research
  • Hi I run a homebirth group after having finally managed a fantastic home water birth with my 3rd after 2 ventouse/forceps/ episiotomy births. I have found (and the women that come to my home birth group have too) that most hospitals try to discourage home births (as you get a midwife then 2 at the end all to yourself instead of 1 per 3 women in labour in the hospital!) and will come up with any policy or excuse they can to put you off!
    There is no reason why you can't have another homebirth (you are at a greater risk of haemorrhage espeically being a grand multip now (more than 4 babies) but at least your midwife will spot it if you bleed whereas the one in the hospital might not even be in the room! I know of a woman who bled after a home birth and by the time the ambulance arrived she had a drip in and IV fluids and the bleeding had stopped which is probably quicker than it would happen in hospital.
    As for saying that you had a section with your first...plenty of women have home births straight after a section and you have had 3 normal births since. Same goes for the tear, I had extended episiotomies with my first 2 and did end up with quite a bad tear the 3rd time so had to go in to be stitched (only because it was a bit complicated and getting dark) but it was so insignificant compared to my wonderful home birth!!
    You are more at risk having a baby in hospital for loads of reasons, I really hope you decide on a home birth.
    As Bec suggests find a local homebirth group (what area are you?) and show reseach to anyone that tries to talk you out of it. xx