Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

continual fetal monitoring?

We toured the delivery units last week and because our baby will need to be checked by a peadiatrician, have been told I'm unable to go into the low-key midwife unit and instead will have to deliver in the consultant-led labour unit.

I got the impression that people in the consultant unit had to be strapped to a fetal monitor which means I would not be able to move from the bed. I am really opposed to that as it would be completely against my wishes for an active birth. The baby does not need to have its heartbeat continually monitored and I wondered if anyone has experience of this. Surely I would be able to ask them to listen intermittently with a sonicaid so that I can move around? I'm usually very easy going, but am ready to do battle on this if necessary!:\(

Replies

• I was worried about the same thing hun, as I will probably need to be induced (I'm having a naughty baby, who won't quite engage properly!) as being continually monitored sounds like my idea of hell too!

It's different in different hospitals, but I think that generally, they may continually monitor you for about an hour when you first arrive, just to check that baby is coping with the contractions OK (some baby's don't like the contractions. and this can cause their heartrate to plummet) but after this they should let you off, if you find that they are keeping you 'strapped in' longer than this, ask them why this is the case, and if the baby is OK. If they don't give a reason for keeping the trace going then tell them you want to take it off now.

After that, they should be able to listen in with a sonicaid, as long as baby is not showing signs of distress - i,e meconium in the waters (apparently this looks like pea soup!), or an erratic heart, etc. Also, if you end up having a c-section, or the drip (that speeds things up) you will have to go on the monitor.

At the end of the day, if they do something you are not happy about then ask them why they want to do it, and refuse if you don't agree - but generally i think that if the MW is suggesting continual monitoring then she will have a reason, and is only doing it because it is better for your baby, and after all a safe delivery is really all that matters.

Hope that makes sense!
    Nx
    40+4
  • For resons unknown to me i had to be monitored for a few hours, which yes did restrict me, however i would rather this and read a book/listen to ipod than them miss something image
  • For resons unknown to me i had to be monitored for a few hours, which yes did restrict me, however i would rather this and read a book/listen to ipod than them miss something image
  • Hi, I had to be induced and baby was checked at regular intervals whilst they just adminstered the pessaries. However, when they broke my waters there was thick meconium and I had to have a syntocinon drip as contractions weren't strong enough so baby had to be continually monitored. I was strapped down for a whole day and I was stuck at 6cm so had to have a emergency c-section in the end. Isabelle was born 10lbs 1oz so no wonder she wouldn't come out! Needless to say I didn't have a pleasant birth experience. I'm hoping it'll be different this time! x