Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Waters

:\? Hiya All.
I was just wondering if your waters broke in one or trickled over a few days. What colour was it.. just so i know what to expect nearer the time. Thank you x x

Replies

• Hi Abbey,

My midwife said should be clear and it could be either a gush or a trickle depending on how the baby is lying. If it has colour phone your midwife/hospital straight away and talk to someone about it. Don't forget that you could experience a show before your waters break. My midwife described a show as a discharge that looks like a bit of 'bloody snot'.

Have a chat with your midwife. Have you got long to go? I have sixteen days til my due date.

All the best, Denise xxx
  • ok, its just coz over the weekend i lost some water, i think it was discharge but it was watery and clear. I am not sure it if was. So i am going to ask the midwife tomorrow when i go. I will also email cow and gate and see what they say coz they usually get back to you quickly. Thank you and good luck woth the baby xx
  • Thank you Abbey, take care of yourself.

Denise xxx
  • Hi

My hind-waters broke first, as soon as I started getting mild contractions. This was a trickle & was very pale pink colour (think of Dulux Rose White) and had a particular smell.
    I had my fore-waters broken when I was in established labour & they came with a gush & were pale pink again.

If the water is green or brown then its likely it has meconium in it which could signal that the baby is in distress. In this case you should phone your delivery suite straight away.

Good luck when the time comes x