Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

would you recommend a sweep??

:\?i'm due today and have been told at my next midwife appointment i will be offerd a sweep, i will be 40+3 then, not sure what to do? anyone recommend one and how long til you go into labour if it works?? :\? am thinking if it will speed things up considerably then i may just have one done?!!

Replies

• i would defeinately have a swep if offered one. it can sometimes trigger labour if your cervix is favourable and ready. it is a little uncomfy but it could all be worth it. just take long deep breathes as the midwife does it and that should relax you. good luck. xx
  • thanks pen, i'm not sure what to do, really hoping that this will help things along. really want to meet baby now!! getting a little fed up i want to hide away from everyone til i go into labour!! getting fed up of people making comments , you still here? etc, Em xx
  • bless you. i know the comments get a bit tiresome after a while don't they. as if it's their right to comment on when baby should have been born.
    the sweep is a better way to try and get you into labour than to be induced really. but give it some thought. you'll know whats right for you. xx
  • my oh can't understand why i'm so touchy about it, i said you never will you're not the pregnant one!! i'll discuss it with the midwife on Monday and prepare myself that i may have it done, maybe if i'm lucky he will decide to make his appearnace without any help??!!!! i take it you've had one before, how long before you went into labour?? Em xx
  • hi. yeah i have had one with 2 of my pregnancies. they got me into labour. it took a few hours as i was in the very early stages anyway but not doing any thing so the sweeps definalty helped to get me into established labour. but as i have said before it all depends on how your cervix feels when the midwife examines you and then she will do the sweep. i do wish you the best of luck, and i hope all goes ok let us all know how you get on. xx
  • hi,
    I had a sweep with my last baby and wouldnt have one again. I thought it hurt like hell and it didnt send me into labour. With the pain thing i guess its another case of everyones different, ive heard some people say it was really painful but some people dont have any problem with it. Like i said i wouldnt have another one but i think it depends on how badly you want to go into labour!
    Toni x
  • Hi i would have one i was 11 days overduse i had my sweep on the 40+7 and it started things off i went into labour on the third day so it worked for me. I didnt find it painfull at all a bit of pressure but thats about it. Hope it works for you gl x
  • i don't really want to go into labour would prefer it if there was some other magical way of having this baby, where's the stork when you need him!! but seriously i will have to do it at some point and his movements are getting quite painful now, really just want to meet my little boy and start being a mummy! i have midwife on monday so will see what she says! thanks to you all for your advice! Em xx
  • Hello, I was due on weds and have been offered a sweep on tues if babys not here by then, ive been trying everything and getting very impatient so think im going to go for it but let us know how you get on so I know what to expect!? xx
  • well it turns out that the midwife is not allowed to do a sweep til your 7 days overdue, so all that worrying and i couldn't have one anyway. (did not have my usual midwife at my last appointment) as it is my midwife is now coming to me on saturday to do the sweep, and if that doesn't work, i am booked i to be induced next tuesday, don't want to have to wait 2 weeks as if it takes a while to get into labour then i will be quite overdue by then. so will let you know after saturday how it went!!
    Em xx :\(
  • Oooh good luck for Sat then. I am due a day after you Em and I have a mw appt this Wed. She won't do the sweep then, but will probs wait til the following monday so you'll have to let us know how you get on on Sat. You never know things might happen before thenimage
  • hi kate thanks i hope something happens before then but i don't think it will i've had no signs whatsoever!! when are you due? i was due on the 11th, but i changed my due date on here cos it would be telling me that my baby is 4 days old when he hasn;t been born yet, and that would really wind me up, as if it's not bad enough everyone texting me to ask if i 'feel any closer?' how would i know i've never done this before!!! will let you know how i get on saturday, still feel like i will be pregnant forever!! Em xx
  • Hi

I had one in my last pregnancy and it did absolutely nothing. Am now concerned as I am due to have a sweep next Thursday 24th May as the hospital scan at 10wks showed my due date as 22nd May, yet according to my LMP i'm not even due until 29th May!!!! so I want to refuse - also I don't want to be induced until 10days after my proper due date!!! Not sure if you can refuse?????????

Good luck on Saturday - I personally would give it a go if you are over your due date as if it does work its better than being induced.

Angie
    38+6
  • Hi Angie of course you can refuse!! they can't force you! the scan would be the one that shows your proper due date as that is the most accurate indicator. mine was only a day out from the date my gp gave me anyway, but when they do the scan they go from that date so if i were you i'd go with the scan one and 10 days after that. get your mw to book you in in advance so you don't have to wait around as the placenta doesn't do it's job properly after 42 weeks so it's better for baby to be induced if nothing happens. hopefully you'll have baby before either anyway! good luck Em xx
  • Hi Em

Thanks for your reply, trouble is I paid to have a nuchal scan at 13 wks (2wks after hospital scan) and they came uo with the same due date as me. I was induced for my last labour and really don't want to go there again. Fingers crossed it will come before then.

ps. interestuing choice of user name as my daughter is called tallulah!!

angie
  • Hi everyone, I've got my sweep booked for this Sunday. I am just so happy that the end is in sight now - even if it doesn't work I'll get an appointment to be induced so I will definitely have my baby at some point next week. YAY!
  • im booked in for my sweep in 13 days , ill be 2 weeks early so i hope it works image i had one with my last child at 37 weeks and went into labour in 5 hrs hope its as good this time image
  • i didn't need a sweep after all that, had baby Noah today at 12.50 pm, mum and baby are doing fine!! Em xx
  • Hello! Didn't need my sweep either! On the 15th (the day I was due to go for my sweep) I went into labour and had baby Tia, can't believe it, so happy!! Yay! xx
  • Hi Em

Congratulations on your new arrival.

angie