Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

baby lying 'posterior'

Anyone know what that means, or how it would affect delivery?
Saw it written in my notes yesterday after going to see the mw.
Ta!

Replies

• Means the baby is lying at the back - posterior = back anterior = front.

Can't help on how it might affect anything - wondering if it means back to back? Have you tried doing a google search or anything?
  • Hi,

It means your baby is lying back to back I have read this can make labour more painful but other than that I don't know a huge amount about it.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful image

C
    xx
  • hi my daughter was posterior- back to back during labour you get all your contractions in your back and bottom as appose to the front if baby lying other way around. yes it is painful and quite breath taking.
    Lucy was stuck in the end so was helped with forceps but i did get stuck on my back after having an epidural so i could'nt change positions to help baby.
    good luck!!
    Nikki x
  • My LO was back to back, he turned whilst in labour.... I must admit it was painful and I was i labour for 30 hours but I don't have anything to compare it to, as he is my first baby. My contactions became irregular, so I needed to have a drip put up to make the contractions stronger and consistent. I ended up with an epidural, which took the pain off the contractions, like nikkiyorksire I was on the bed as I was being monitored but was told to lie on my left side to make him move... he was delivered via episiotomy and vontouse!

Anyway please don't worry as your baby has time to change position and if it gets too painful make sure you get painrelief

Good luck
    Lynds, X

[Modified by: lynds007 on January 13, 2008 10:26 AM]
  • My 1st daughter was posterior & although it makes the labour longer & more painful we still managed a natural birth with just water & a bit of gas & air so it is possible. The water def took the edge of the pain for me

Good luck

Hilary x
  • apparently ther e are some positions you can get in to try and turn baby around . i have birthing ball which i sit on reguarlly and if you get on all fours. beenadvised not toslouch when sitting which is hard when your so uncomfortable. I am having lots of back pain anyway and desperate not to have a "back labour" i willl let you know if anyting as worked.
  • im in the same position my baby was anterior up until a few weeks ago but now has decided he wants to be akward im trying all fours at the moment
    best of luck
  • my baby was also in this position, i don't want to scare you but it did pro-long things because i started to want to push when only 7cm, so had to go against my bodies natural urge for a good 3hours and NOT push which seemed almost impossible. it was extremely painful and very tiring up until i had diamorphine - i highly recommend it, i slept inbetween pushing! the problem with my labour was we didnt know she was back to back until i was in delivery sweet and my waters had broken so i couldnt have prepared. i suggest you choose a type of pain relief and ask for it soon as you are in the hosp, or as soon as the pain gets stronger, and then it shouldn't be so bad! x x