Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sex

Hi Ladies!
I'm getting a bit sick of being pregnant now and I'm desperate the start labour off. I know that sex is supposed to bring it on, but just wanted to know whether it's the actual sex, or the effect that semen has on making your uterus contract? Sorry if that sounds silly, just never knew why sex helped. Love Rachel XXX

Replies

• hi ya its not silly at all luv its the seamen it has something in it that thins out the cervix and helps break down the plug. im 39/4 and the thought of that up there when there is not enough room left in me to cough puts me off im fat and uncomftable as it is my poor oh lol x x x
  • I just don't like the thought of getting messy in there and then going into labour and not having enough time to wash myself.XXX
  • same here but it wont happen straight away have some sex then after most of it has run out get in a warm shower easier to tell if waters break than a bath, midwifes have seen it all before lol
  • I thought it was all to do with the semen aswell, till today!!!
    My friend is due any day now, and asked her midwife this same question today... she was told its all about the penetration, and the force loosening the plug.. but that semen helps too to soften cervix... so from the sounds of it.. its both things.. so the whole act can have impact but only if your body is literally ready and needs a bit of a push lol.
    I know with my first child, the morning after sex I had a show, and went into labour that day.. 10 days early, so think it can happen.
    If anyone still feels up to it and is sick of trying everything else, its worth a go..ha ha
    caz xx
  • Yeah I suppose so! Thanks for your Help. Good luck with your birth! Love Rachel XXX