Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

don't think i can do it!

how the hell am i gonna give birth? i know it's a bit late now and baby has got to come out in around 16 days but i just don't think i can do it!

i keep getting waves of panic and am petrified. i want baby so much and we were ttc for 12 months but how the hell is it coming out?

did any of u feel completely petrified before it happened and is it really as bad as bad as people make out?

xx

Replies

• Options
    oh hun you will be fine.I remember hyperventilating at about 30 weeks when I suddenly realized there is no way back.When the day came,I was completely calm,I just was not thinking about what would happen next.I gave brith without pain relief,not even gas and air,as i wanted to save it for as late as possible and i left it so late the midwife would not give it to me,saying there was no point as the babies head was nearly out when I first asked(ok,screamed for it) .Although I did not like the pushing,I am now planning number 2 and want a home birth without pain relief.I was told that the day you give birth will be the best day of your life.And it really was.Lots of love and all the best.
  • Options
    Hi, i kind of burried my head in the sand as i was petrified and didn't want to think about it. Don't listen to peoples birth stories or it will freak you out, every birth is so different and probably your birth plan (if you have one) will go out of the window (mine was "give me drugs", it didn't happen!) Listen it's no picnic but you will forget about all that at the end when they put that squishy little bundle in your arms. I also thought that if women all over the world do this every second and do it again after that, so that says "you can do it" Good luck gal, you'll be great xx
  • Options
    hi wannabemummy...

im going in monday to be induced, and tbh, im not scared one bit. usually im like you, totally petrified at any new circumstance or event, but i have been quite calm about the whole 'birth' thing, and i have just kept reminding myself that it is the final hurdle before i get to meet our lil boy, and hold him, give him loads of cuddles and kisses, and start our life as a family.

dont get me wrong, i know its going to hurt, and ive got a good chance of a c-sec by monday t-time if labour doesnt commence properly in the day, but by remaining positive and my partner has been very supportive too...altho he teases about me havin a "wizzards hat" (sorry if tmi) after hes born, i just smile and think once he see's our boy, he'll have an overwhelming feeling and probably burst out crying...

dont listen to scare stories, cuz tbh, most women cant remember everything that happened during their labour, and this is why mother nature gets us doing it over and over again, cruel woman.

good luck, and im sure you will be fine !!
  • Options
    Try not to think about the labour, you will deal with it when it happens. And it probably won't be nearly as bad as you expect- don't listen to the scare stories. I managed fine on gas and air and tens machine. If you focus on the fact that you will be meeting your lo, that will help you to get through. And when you get to hold him/her, nothing else will matter!
  • Options
    Please dont panic too much hun.... I didnt find it half as bad as I thought it would be! It was a 7 hr labour and I coped at home for most of it, getting to hosp at 1.30pm 8cm dialated and gave birth at 3.34pm! I managed on gas and air, and by the time your pushing you are so focused you dont really think of the pain! Good luck hun xxx
  • Options
    Hey hun, does that make you due around the 27th/28th Dec? My lo was due on the 28th Dec 07 but decided to arrive on the 2nd Jan to keep me waiting lol! Try not to worry too much, I had a fantastic birth, didn't have any pain relief and am now 14 weeks pregnant with number 2!

Try and relax and remember that no matter how many scare stories there are there are also some really positive stories of fab births. Plus I have not yet read one birth story on here where someone is saying I wish I had never got pregnant! As soon as you see your lo nothing else will matter and you will feel on top of the world.

Try not to think of the 'what ifs' there is no point in worrying about things that might not even happen.

I am looking forward to reading your birth story telling us all what a great labour you had, and how gorgeous your little bundle is.

Take care hun, enjoy Christmas, and focus on what you get at the end of the labour rather than the labour itself.

Liz xx
  • Options
    try not to worry too much. It did hurt but the day my daughter was born was definitely the best of my life. I know its corny and I usually want to slap people who say things like this but it is positive pain. Its pain for the best reason in the whole world and it can't last forever. As you rightly said, its not like we have a choice any more!

My surroundings at hospital being different to what I had expected and being told things I wasn't expecting about the pain relief available at the hospital I will be at this time has thrown me, I will admit, but I am still not scared. It will be how it will be and however it is will be fine in the end because 1. I will have my son and 2. pregnancy will be over, yey. Births are all so different, we can't second guess how it will be and I'll bet you will be the first one to say when you have your LO, well, I'd do it again tomorrow.

Good luck and focus on other things you have control over and can plan for, like who to coerce into cooking the Christmas Dinner and how you will get that coat / handbag / shoes you have had your eye on for ages and must get in the sales if you go into labour whilst out shopping!

• Options
    thank you ladies for your kind words of encouragement. think my panicking is slowly passing. just a bit fed up of waiting now i've finished worked, packed xmas pressies and got everything sorted. i seem to have more time to think about things. need to find something else to keep my mind working before the big day!
  • Options
    I know from experience there's not an awful lot anyone can say to make you less nervous about it.... BUT I promise, your body just takes over. Just keep reminding yourself your body knows what to do.
  • Options
    oh god .... 18 hours to go til i go in for induction ...

wannabemummy i am sure you will be fine !!!! im going to concentrate on meeting our baby as all the pain is means to an end in my book, and the end result is a happy healthy baby in mine or Oh's arms havin loads of cuddles and kisses and makin our lil family complete (gosh im gettin choked up!)

like the other ladies say, you probably wont be concentratin on the pain as the mw's will be talking you through it all anyway !

good luck
    x
  • Options
    after delivering 5 kids I can vouch for all births been different.
    however, you do cope with it as you know that each contraction is one step closer to meeting your baby.
    dont go with a rigid birth plan..be flexible and this way you will go wit the flow and not stress out
    Listen to your body and your midwife

Baby will come out and beleive me....no matter how good/bad each of my births were I would do it all again 100 times over to have each of my kids here with me.

good luck..you will be fine!

d xxx
  • Options
    When it comes to the time you will just know what to do. I was worried about pushing but when the time came I was fine. The MW's said I did a really good job! My 2nd was born brow presentation (head facing up not down) and it was soo uncomfortable BUT I just knew what to do, and how to cope with every contraction. You will be fine honey, its extremly common to have concerns about labour. Just remember you're made for giving birth, and you will be fine. After all of it you'll have a beautiful baby! Maybe even an early christmas pressie!

Good Luck honey!

xx